• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange steering

ArtH

Local time
6:49 AM
Reaction score
When I first start up my 77 Cordoba, the steering wheel turns by itself to almost a full right turn (wheels turn too). This only seems to happen when the car has set for awhile. Fluid is up to the correct level and is correct for this car. Anyone ever experience this? It's really weird.

The pressure valve on top of the steering box is stickin. You can take it off and clean it up but it will probably do it again. I would replace the gear box.

When I first start up my 77 Cordoba, the steering wheel turns by itself to almost a full right turn (wheels turn too). This only seems to happen when the car has set for awhile. Fluid is up to the correct level and is correct for this car. Anyone ever experience this? It's really weird.
Not necessarily sticking. There is a slight amount of adjustment. Loosen the 2 bolts holding the power steering return housing on top of the gear box. It can slide forward or back. Best to get a service manual. WORD OF WARNING, DO NOT PUT YOUR ARM THROUGH THE STEERING WHEEL. If the housing is moved to far the wheel can turn quickly causing injury.
Doug

I did go through the service manual and sure enough it tells you what to do. If the wheel turns to the right, tap the valve body a little forward, if to the left tap backwards (to the rear of the car). I went ahead and tapped it forward a bit - after loosening the bolts - and when I started the engine the wheel centered itself. This problem only seems to occur when the car has set awhile, like over night on the first start of the day. After that, it doesn't seem to do it. So, I will test it again tomorrow AM and see what happens. But, that seems to be the fix.

Auto Transport Service
Back