• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Street Machines National 2022

GetX'd

Making Life Great Again!
Local time
10:49 AM
Reaction score
My good buddy I‘ve mentioned on here many times - The guy I relinquished ownership of the X to a couple of years ago gave me a heads up on his entering the Street Machines National car show at the St Paul Fairgrounds this weekend. Thousands of cars entered and filled that huge fairground facility this weekend. Cars from A - Z. Trailer Queens to rust buckets - as I hear it the biggest show in the Midwest. Anyway long story short he took home the engraved trophy for “Best in the Show Mopar”. Had to be pretty close to the top shelf because there was a winner of GM, Ford, Chrysler and I‘m not sure what else for total car judging. He also said he missed out on “Best Interior“ by a knats dick size. I had the X interior all done in hand picked by me - premium leather hide that not only matched the original interior color but also customized to replicate “The Bullet“ 70 Roadrunner if any of you remember that car. I had my guy recreate it off a couple of pics I lifted from the net for when the time came. Turned out beautifully. So this makes me miss the car even more but I’m really stoked for he and his son. My creation - but he’s the owner and he treats her right. A couple of show shots below. She’s been emancipated but I still feel like a proud Papa.

0862BC7A-2D31-40AE-ADB6-DCB430A01F3B.jpeg
F6D560D2-1A3B-43AF-A93E-2EAC956789C8.jpeg

Beautiful car and well deserving of the award. That show is my favorite every year, we were there on Saturday. There are always some very big money cars in attendance. Seemed to me that there were more Mopars this year as well.

It’s unfortunate it’s not yours anymore, selling a car you love is tough. But it’s great knowing it’s in good hands, and being well taken care of. Congrats on the trophy, it’s well deserved!
:thumbsup:

Congratulations on the [virtual] win; lovely looking car.
minnesota?!?! Thought the SMNats were back at Duquoin...
Just went and looked and this is a separate event, apparently called the Street Machine Summer Nats, run by the same promotional group. Doesnt change the great award/honour tho!

Which brings to mind... Ive noticed a distinct dearth of posts/mention/photos/threads on the Street Machine Nationals; I even used the 'search' function! :) Didnt anyone here go to these events in the 70s, 8os and early 90s when they were really great? The NSRA had 'Street Machine/Van Nats' in the 70s and then there was the Car Craft magazine events that the current crop grew out of. BITD, these gatherings [along with the Ponca City Grand Prix] were the sole reason to try and survive winter...

They still have the show in Duquoin - in fact there was one there recently. I got the impression Duquoin was a much smaller event. I had looked at all the Duquoin entrant pics and didn’t really see anything I thought would hold a candle to the X - That made me pretty certain the X would do very well - even knowing St Paul would be a whole different ballgame in terms of entrants. Interesting to me that I grew up there, went to college there and didn’t leave until a corporate transfer when I was 28 - but I knew nothing of that show. Al beit back then I never entered the car in any shows and didn’t even frequent them as a spectator. I was more the drive-in hang out, cruising, street racing fanatic type. Shows didn’t interest me. So I guess that’s probably why.

Congrats on your former baby doing well...

They still have the show in Duquoin - in fact there was one there recently. I got the impression Duquoin was a much smaller event. I had looked at all the Duquoin entrant pics and didn’t really see anything I thought would hold a candle to the X - That made me pretty certain the X would do very well - even knowing St Paul would be a whole different ballgame in terms of entrants. Interesting to me that I grew up there, went to college there and didn’t leave until a corporate transfer when I was 28 - but I knew nothing of that show. Al beit back then I never entered the car in any shows and didn’t even frequent them as a spectator. I was more the drive-in hang out, cruising, street racing fanatic type. Shows didn’t interest me. So I guess that’s probably why.
Interesting... BITD - 80s early 90s - DuQuoin was THE event and huge. Of course, I havent been in...come to think about it, 30 years this summer.... Guess it may be smaller now. I know DuQuoin ceased for awhile and then started back up, so that may have hurt attendance. But from the first year there - 86 is my memory - until the mid 90s or so, the SMNats at DuQuoin had 5 digit participants and 6 digit spectators. It was quite the happening.
The NSRA branched out into 'street machines' in the mid 70s and had several successful get togethers. Then the Car Craft Magazine events really got going and the NSRA went back to pre-50. Car Craft moved to a different location every year until it got to be a full time job for the magazine staff, so they handed off to Special Events, who landed in southern illinois after Ionia Michigan cancelled them at the last minute. The fairgrounds there at DuQuoin are just tailor made for a big event like that. Usta be great.
I understand that the venue in minnesota is great also - several friends went there over the years for the NSRA Street Rod Nats and they said it was fantastic.
And its fantastic that your car won such a great award at such a big event also!

Auto Transport Service
Back