• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Street / strip exhaust set-up ?

496BEE

Local time
7:30 AM
Reaction score
I currently have a 3" system with an x right after headers, mufflers about a foot before the rear axle then my pipes kind of route on the outside of my frame rails and exit by rear bumper. Now that I'm planning to stuff a wider tire under the car im planning to either re- route the piping after the mufflers and move them inboard or just put short extensions on the mufflers with turn downs either right before or after the axle. . . So question is to the guys who have a set up like this and drive on the street do you get killed with exhaust fumes in the cabin at lights and stuff? Also will the volume of the car go up that much with out the exhaust routing to rear bumper ?

I have turn downs In front of the axle on one of my cars.
Two things:
It's pretty loud in the car and it throws a bunch of dust and road crap all over the car.
I'd do whatever it takes to route them out under the rear bumper.

My buddies Chevelle has turndowns. Sounds killer if you're standing outside the car. Quickly becomes unbearable inside the car. Yes to fumes if you sit at a stoplight. Yes to a droning wall of sound that quickly becomes a nuisance.

I don't think that tailpipes are going to rob you of much horsepower, exhaust is constricting quickly once at that point. The weight is probably a bigger factor than its effect on power.

IMO: Optimal street / strip exhaust setup includes cutouts 18" off the header.

Thanks for the input guys, after reading both your posts I will absolutely find a way to route them to the rear bumper..... Cut outs also are a good idea I will look into

A good exhaust guy can run 3 1/2"-4" exhaust to the bumper...thru a 4-link/tubbed car.

I have TTI 3" exhaust front to back. It's tight but fits nicely.

I'm fine up to the rear but then it's just ran out side the frame rails cause I used the Cal tracs relocation kit to move my leaf springs further in... Im going to probably try and snake it over the rear maybe through the leaf springs and I'm going to try and get it out the stock location

I also have the cal tracs with the sings moved in.

Last edited:
OK, that gives me hope lol.. I'm gonna check tti website and see what they have for a 73 b body .. is yours routed through your leaf springs or more out the center under your gas tank ?

QUOTE="69 GTX, post: 910639144, member: 12888"]I also have the call track with the sings moved in.[/QUOTE]

Got it , just checked tti website , im probably gonna try and run it the same way. I'm gonna have to relocate my fuel pump and flip my rear leaf spring bolts

Between frame rails & gas tank. This is on a 69 GTX

I removed my gas tank and put a fuel cell in the trunk. With the extra room, I bought some 4" exhaust pipe, 2 - 90 degree bends, 4 - 45 degree bends, 2 - Flowmaster mufflers. Welded it all up, made some hangers:

4 inch exhaust.PNG

3" TTI to the bumper, x-pipe, mufflers in front of axle, springs moved in. Snug but works. Use mufflers with offset inlet/outlet.

rear1.JPG

See you got your lift in!!! Best tool in any shop! Is it the pic or did you change to flat oval after your mufflers???
Kinda, I put the pipe in the press with some softwood on both sides and made it oval to get under the springs.

Thanks, can't believe I resisted putting one in now. The downside is now I see how dirty it is and want to touch up the bottom haha. I do Love it.

I run the full TTI system and their headers. The tailpipes are in the stock location on the inside of the leafsprings and I have stock wheelwells. Ron

410561811.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back