• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

strip or repaint hood?

redrr

Local time
4:55 PM
Reaction score
Well I found a nice looking bulge hood for my 73 roadrunner. The guy took it off his restored car and sold to me, he's putting a high rise on his . The paint is blue and has a nice clear coat on it. My dilemma is ,do I strip it or just repaint it ? It was painted a year ago

stripping it would undo any filler work hiding under the paint and probably be 3X the work .......sand it good and paint it, maybe a sealer coat in between

you can always strip it later if it fails

That all depends on what color you are going to paint your car. If you are going to go with Red or Yellow then I would suggest stripping and re-priming because both of those paint colors are more transparent than other colors so if the rest of your car is primer, and you just color sand the blue paint on the hood and repaint, its likely it wont match the rest of the car.

That all depends on what color you are going to paint your car. If you are going to go with Red or Yellow then I would suggest stripping and re-priming because both of those paint colors are more transparent than other colors so if the rest of your car is primer, and you just color sand the blue paint on the hood and repaint, its likely it wont match the rest of the car.
We were thinking sassy grass green or some type of orange

I would say this from experience, since you have the car completely stripped down currently, I assume, is do it right the first time, that way you don't have any regrets once its painted. So if it were me, I would strip and re-prime the hood to match the state of the rest of the car. And as eldub440 said, it gives you the opportunity to correct any imperfections that may be hidden under the paint!

Stripping and re-doing any body work plus new paint is your best avenue. That way you are guaranteed that you remove any hokey work done by Bondo Armando and that your mil thickness of the paint does not exceed the max. If you slap more on top of whats under, without fully knowing whats there, you are playing Russian Roulette. Just because the car it came off of was restored does not guarantee that the previous owner/owners were not cheap and think anything over $500 is too much to spend on paint and body.

I agree with stripping it. You'll know what you have.

Auto Transport Service
Back