• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stripping anodizing from aluminum trim

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:18 AM
Reaction score
I've stripped some aluminum trim the last few years and went through the usual recommendations on forums and the Internet starting with HD Easy Off Oven Cleaner. Don't do it - eats the heck out of aluminum and works very uneven. The surface often looked ridiculously rough. I had to start out as coarse as 120 sandpaper on particularly rough pieces and work all the way down to 2500 or so which was very time consuming and tedious.

Then I went to Greased Lightning which was less aggressive on aluminum but required the trim to be immersed in it for hours requiring a trough for big parts or some PVC pipe for straight trim pieces. Worked fairly well but not always uniformly. Problem was the Greased lightning was only good for a one time use so I went through a lot of it which ran expenses up and then I had the problem with what to do with all of it once used. I dumped a lot on my driveway to evaporate and still have some in storage in my storage building.

This time I decided to try powdered Lye or Sodium Hydroxide. A two pound bottle at the hardware store is pretty cheap and will last a long time.

IMG_5553.JPG

I stripped a trunk panel in a metal through I have and 4 pieces of straight trim in a 2" PVC pipe. I mixed up a gallon with 16 teaspoons of lye and poured it in the 2" pipe and put 3 pieces of trim in. This was a pretty hot mix and bubbled aggressively as it heated up, bubbled like it was boiling, and stripped away. After about 1 hour the trim was stripped clean, was pretty uniform and was pretty smooth.

Today I stripped the tail panel and poured the left over 1 gallon in and then mixed up 3 more gallons with 10 teaspoons of lye in each in the trough.

IMG_5554.JPG

This was probably just a little on the weak side as it turned out but after an hour and ten minutes the panel was mostly stripped. The surface was still pretty slick and shiny in areas after cleaning off the black scum and there may have been a very thin coat of anodizing left. But a couple swipes of 600 grit sandpaper and it was obviously into aluminum. I think there is a very, very thin layer of soft anodizing left but the metal is still real smooth and it's so thin it will immediately sand off. I can probably start with 600 except where there may be some scratches or dings to fix. Sanding the aluminum is necessary to get rid of most of the pits, scratches, hide ding and dent repairs. In the past I've usually sanded down to 2500 and then use a 3000 3M Trizact pad on it. By that time it can usually just be hit with Mothers Aluminum Polish or run it over my buffer wheel on my bench grinder with a white aluminum compound and soft flannel buffer wheel. But how smooth the lye left the surface is the big plus to this method, as is the low cost and more uniform removal action.

IMG_5551.JPG
IMG_5552.JPG

In hindsight I probably should have used a little stronger mix than the 10 teaspoons/gallon. the 16 teaspoons seemed a little hot so maybe a happy medium is around 12/13 teaspoons/gallon. It may depend on the air temperature and it in a confined container like PVC pipe or an open container like my trough. You kind of need to monitor the part as you go to see how it's coming. I wiped the smudging off and hit a small area with a piece of 600 sandpaper and if it sanded easy and appeared to get down to fresh aluminum immediately I figured it was done.

Hope someone can use this info.

Oven clean is lye another name is caustic soda or sodium hydroxide. Your very lucky you did not get hurt when lye hits water it excellerates causing product to boil

Minor concentration - no issues adding to water by teaspoon. Never add water to lye - always lye to water. Work outdoors in fresh air.

Thanks. Have to do the Charger trim. Do NOT PLATE ALUMINUM TRIM!! It flakes off in shreds. I know of people that did it, bad results.

I’m kind of on the fence about having any of it anodized again. Some of the shop anodizing I’ve seen has a lot more shine than what I believe factory trim exhibited. I can’t tell it from polished aluminum other than if the anodizing has some minor flaws. Has anyone else noticed this?

I’ve had to take a white cloth and some Mothers polish and rub a small spot to see if the cloth turns black or stays white. Polished and sealed with wax it stays nice for a long time. Not sure if it’s worth the expense.

Is that with lye Dadsbee? Your panel looks pretty much like what my trim came out like from the PVC pipe with a little stronger concentration. My panel came out a little less stripped but I think it will sand out fine. If not, back in the through for a few minutes. I also have a few remains of the original black letter paint in the recesses that escaped both my lacquer thinner and the stripper. Tough stuff.

I'm fortunate enough to have a metal anodizing shop within 2 miles. They don't do the process that leaves a chrome-like shine. Just dull anodizing and colors, too.

I had them strip my Coronet tail panel and some other aluminum trim.

Than
I've stripped some aluminum trim the last few years and went through the usual recommendations on forums and the Internet starting with HD Easy Off Oven Cleaner. Don't do it - eats the heck out of aluminum and works very uneven. The surface often looked ridiculously rough. I had to start out as coarse as 120 sandpaper on particularly rough pieces and work all the way down to 2500 or so which was very time consuming and tedious.

Then I went to Greased Lightning which was less aggressive on aluminum but required the trim to be immersed in it for hours requiring a trough for big parts or some PVC pipe for straight trim pieces. Worked fairly well but not always uniformly. Problem was the Greased lightning was only good for a one time use so I went through a lot of it which ran expenses up and then I had the problem with what to do with all of it once used. I dumped a lot on my driveway to evaporate and still have some in storage in my storage building.

This time I decided to try powdered Lye or Sodium Hydroxide. A two pound bottle at the hardware store is pretty cheap and will last a long time.

View attachment 1178103

I stripped a trunk panel in a metal through I have and 4 pieces of straight trim in a 2" PVC pipe. I mixed up a gallon with 16 teaspoons of lye and poured it in the 2" pipe and put 3 pieces of trim in. This was a pretty hot mix and bubbled aggressively as it heated up, bubbled like it was boiling, and stripped away. After about 1 hour the trim was stripped clean, was pretty uniform and was pretty smooth.

Today I stripped the tail panel and poured the left over 1 gallon in and then mixed up 3 more gallons with 10 teaspoons of lye in each in the trough.

View attachment 1178108

This was probably just a little on the weak side as it turned out but after an hour and ten minutes the panel was mostly stripped. The surface was still pretty slick and shiny in areas after cleaning off the black scum and there may have been a very thin coat of anodizing left. But a couple swipes of 600 grit sandpaper and it was obviously into aluminum. I think there is a very, very thin layer of soft anodizing left but the metal is still real smooth and it's so thin it will immediately sand off. I can probably start with 600 except where there may be some scratches or dings to fix. Sanding the aluminum is necessary to get rid of most of the pits, scratches, hide ding and dent repairs. In the past I've usually sanded down to 2500 and then use a 3000 3M Trizact pad on it. By that time it can usually just be hit with Mothers Aluminum Polish or run it over my buffer wheel on my bench grinder with a white aluminum compound and soft flannel buffer wheel. But how smooth the lye left the surface is the big plus to this method, as is the low cost and more uniform removal action.

View attachment 1178105 View attachment 1178106

In hindsight I probably should have used a little stronger mix than the 10 teaspoons/gallon. the 16 teaspoons seemed a little hot so maybe a happy medium is around 12/13 teaspoons/gallon. It may depend on the air temperature and it in a confined container like PVC pipe or an open container like my trough. You kind of need to monitor the part as you go to see how it's coming. I wiped the smudging off and hit a small area with a piece of 600 sandpaper and if it sanded easy and appeared to get down to fresh aluminum immediately I figured it was done.

Hope someone can use this info.
Thank you AR67GTX will be starting this process soon.
Pretty well every aluminum trim piece on the 66 Satellite is bent.
Do you recommend stripping before straightening?

Auto Transport Service
Back