• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strong fuel smell

diesel_lv

Local time
4:45 PM
Reaction score
'67 Coronet, fuel injected w in-tank pump, AN fittings on every junction both feed n return. PTFE braided hose so it is also vapor barrier. Factory vented cap. When I slow down from hwy speeds, I'll get a strong fuel smell in the car. The '67 does not have a vent hose or pressure equalization hose running through the trunk. Checked both fill hose and pressure equalization hose and no sign of any leak. Any suggestions? Thanks.

few things to check, make sure the cap vent is working, check the trunk weather strip with a dollar bill , close the lid on the bill several spots and make sure you have drag when pulling.
Sometimes if running a open style air cleaner at slow speed the fumes can be sucked into the cabin at floor vents if seal is shot.

If you have a steel fuel line check for hairline cracks

Vent cap works great, no pressure built up when hot and fuel pump not starved creating a vacuum. Trunk seal checked good. All PTFE fuel line, no drips under 58 psi fuel pressure. With fuel injection, the open base aircleaner I did not give much thought to. Doesn't seem to do it with in town driving, just when slowing down from highway speeds to a stop.

So the vent line in the trunk dose it go into the frame rail? My runner was leaking out the frame rail from my vent line. Had to vent the tank one more time at the filler neck. Still don't have all the bug's worked out. But when at a friend's place notice on the passenger side under the car was a small puddle. Yes it was gas. Not good. Just throwing this out to you. You may be building up pressure in the fuel tank.

So the vent line in the trunk dose it go into the frame rail? My runner was leaking out the frame rail from my vent line. Had to vent the tank one more time at the filler neck. Still don't have all the bug's worked out. But when at a friend's place notice on the passenger side under the car was a small puddle. Yes it was gas. Not good. Just throwing this out to you. You may be building up pressure in the fuel tank.
As stated in original post, the '67 does not have a pressure equalization line running through the trunk.

Sorry must have read it wrong I will blame it on my age thing. LOL. So, forget that hey.

MY 67 vents back inside the filler tube.
Not 100 percent up on 67 coronet production so if they built some in California its possible they have a different vent system.

Just thinking, is the fuel smell present when windows and vents are closed ?
Just trying to think if it's coming through with outside air flow dragging it inside.
I understand your engine is fuel injected but is it possible it is running to rich coming off of a higher rpm back to idle ect.

MY 67 vents back inside the filler tube.
Not 100 percent up on 67 coronet production so if they built some in California its possible they have a different vent system.
On a '67, the small hose that goes from the tank next to the large fill hose and then connects to the fill hose up high is not a vent hose. It is designed to equalize pressure as you're adding fuel so it doesn't burp fuel up at you while filling up. The only vent on a non-California car is the cap.

Just thinking, is the fuel smell present when windows and vents are closed ?
Just trying to think if it's coming through with outside air flow dragging it inside.
I understand your engine is fuel injected but is it possible it is running to rich coming off of a higher rpm back to idle ect.
I get it both ways. I'm trying to remember how my windows were last week when I drove it to Vegas. Too many beers since then to remember. I guess I'll have to go for a drive this weekend between the boat and SxS.

Check the gasket from the sending
unit/fuel pump flange to tank. Had a leak
there before. Most noticeable during hard
acceleration/deceleration.

Auto Transport Service
Back