• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Studs for front seats, 70 Charger - removeable/replaceable? Or buy a whole track?

Triplegreen500

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:15 AM
Reaction score
'70 Charger 500 survivor. I pulled my front seats out to pull carpet and check floorpans (today makes it a week that I've owned the car, I'm still exploring!), and one stud on the passenger seat is stripped smooth, no threads. It looks similar in construction to a wheel stud, pressed into the track - can they be pressed/hammered out and replaced? Or do I need to get a whole track?

It's a rear stud, so not super-critical like if it were a front one, but I still want the seat all the way bolted to the floor, instead of just 3/4 bolted!

Unless it needs to be totally original, just use a carriage bolt. A LOT cheaper.

My main concern was, "can they be removed from the tracks or are they welded in?". Now that I know they come out, I can figure out what to use to replace it with.

They are swaged in place. I used a carriage bolt and turned it down on a lathe to look like the factory bolt. I then made a swage tool and used an arbor press to swage the carriage bolt in place.

You really don't need to swage them in place....the factory did because it was a time saver. You can just feed the bolt through and hold it down so the square shoulder on the bolt engages the square hole and doesn't spin.

i did the same thing but didnt have a lathe put it in the end of a drill chuck and spun it against a grinding wheel head looks about original. cost about 35 ct. and 2 minutes of time

Not that it really matters, but wouldn't a carriage bolt be a grade 2, whereas the original studs were harder?

Not that it really matters, but wouldn't a carriage bolt be a grade 2, whereas the original studs were harder?
You’re right, box store carriage bolts are grade 2. I get grade 5 carriage bolts at my Deere dealer.

Galvanized carriage bolt are under tolerance to allow for the coating so if you blast them the nuts will fit different.

I've had my driver's seat out so many times on my '63 for one thing or another was thinking of using wing nuts on them. One of the bolts popped out of the bracket and it's a PIA to tighten it trying to reach in to hold it in place to put the nut on. So yep, will do a carriage bolt thing and try to press it back in the bracket...next time I need to take the seat out - again...

Auto Transport Service
Back