• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stupid four door question, Dodge vs. Plymouth

Phantom440

Local time
2:33 PM
Reaction score
Hi all, I hope you're doing well despite everything going on.
In the brochures and what I can find online, typically it gives the wheelbase for a '71-'74 4 door Satellite as 117" and the Coronet as 118".
Is this just marketing, or is there really an additional inch somewhere in there? If so, where? Rear footwell room? At the rear spring hangers? Between the K-member and the torsion bar crossmember? Will this interfere with driveshaft measurements, or could I measure a 4D '72 Satellite and use the numbers for my 4D '72 Coronet?
Thank you!

The rear leaf spring hanger hardware is different between a given Plymouth and Dodge of the same body line. That's how they get the 1 inch difference.

Thank you! Was there an engineering reason for this, or was it just a selling point over the Plymouth? Did it give the Coronet a notably better ride?

It was, and always was, marketing. Plymouth was low line, dodge mid line and then chrysler.
In the early sixties it was all about wheelbase and models. Someone at chrysler heard chev was going smaller, so the boys scrambled to build the little 62s at 116", but they were wrong, so next thing you know the 64 dodges were back up to 119".
Anyways... it's all about wheelbase.

Hmmmm....... I guess this is why when looking at vintage pics of New York City, you see Coronets and no Satellite taxis?
NYC-taxis-1972-d.jpg

Last edited:
Also the 4-dr trunk pan is an inch longer than the 2-dr pan.
I know this isn't unusual. I took a part a four door '67 plymouth belvedere 4 door. On the floor pan the provision for the console shifter was stamped into the floor pan with the three dimples on the perimeter were there also, the left rear floor pan also had the provision for a dual exhaust rear hanger. Yes the car went back together

20210921_124142.jpg

20210921_124004.jpg

20210921_123917.jpg

20210921_124015.jpg

I know this isn't unusual. I took a part a four door '67 plymouth belvedere 4 door. On the floor pan the provision for the console shifter was stamped into the floor pan with the three dimples on the perimeter were there also, the left rear floor pan also had the provision for a dual exhaust rear hanger. Yes the car went back together

View attachment 1336240
Just the 71-4 trunk pan is different between 2-dr and 4-dr. 62-70 they are the same.

But 68-70 wagon is different than 2 and 4 door (it's the same as 66/67).

Auto Transport Service
Back