• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Subframe connectors 66-67

Mike Brini

Local time
12:37 PM
Reaction score
I'm sure this topic has been discussed before and I'm not trying to beat a dead horse. My question is this. Has anyone built and welded their own connectors from scratch? If so, would you do anything differently like purchase another type or do something different with your own design. Appreciate any insight.

Guys certainly have. I might do so as well. Only thing I haven't decided is if ghe usct connectors that weld to the floor pans are substantially better than some tube steel bolted or welded between subframes.

I usually don't do more than stock, but I will add them to my 67 Hemi 4-speed Satellite recreation. I will use the ones that tie the floor pans in as well. My opinion it will allow less twist in the whole unibody.

The U.S. Cartool connectors are easy, neat, and strong. You have to spend about an hour trimming them so
they fit tight against the floor pan, but when you weld them in they look like they came from the factory.
DSCF8587.JPG
DSCF8592.JPG
DSCF8600.JPG
DSCF8616.JPG
DSCF8623.JPG

I have the US Car Tool ones on my '64 Polara, and am happy with the fit. On the early B-bodies, the E-brake lines all run inside the connectors, and everything is good. On the later B-bodies, the E-brake lines have to pass through the connectors, so a provision has to be made for this.

I stuck on the mopar performance bolt on frame connectors. It could be overkill because of the sedan b pillar, making the car naturally stiffer ( that's what she said )

My 66 has homebrew connectors made from 2x2 square tubing....

Mine too. Also my 65. Both cars do have the portion of the tube under the rear foot well, welded to the floor. Note the E-brake cable routing, through a welded in piece of round tubing. The connectors also provide a nice spot to route plumbing.
Mike
044.JPG
IMG_0500.JPG
IMG_2507.JPG

Back in the '70's we did 2x3 connectors on my '65 Dodge. Cut through the floor pan with very tight fit. We mover the springs into the frame rails at the same time. Cut the front out of the rear subframe and slid the 2x3 into the rear subframe and rosette welded it. The 2x3 was welded the entire length through the floor pan. This was incredibly stiff. As power increased it became more and more valuable. Amazingly consistent bracket car.

Edit: My '66 Satellite has the 2x3 through the floor, welded in. Very stiff.

If I'm a drag racer i would probably try to run a 2 door post car, or 4 door because of the added stiffness of the b pillar. Of course if it's a 4 door common sense says just gut the rear doors to save weight.

Back in the '70's we did 2x3 connectors on my '65 Dodge. Cut through the floor pan with very tight fit. We mover the springs into the frame rails at the same time. Cut the front out of the rear subframe and slid the 2x3 into the rear subframe and rosette welded it. The 2x3 was welded the entire length through the floor pan. This was incredibly stiff. As power increased it became more and more valuable. Amazingly consistent bracket car.

Edit: My '66 Satellite has the 2x3 through the floor, welded in. Very stiff.
Exactly how I did my 67. I agree.

I did 2x4 on my 65. Cut through the t-bar x so the front could extend 6" into the front rail, used some t-bar x reinforcement/repair units from Auto Rust Technicians to tie in that area plus reinforce said area due to upcoming bar size and car usage. Back end was run through too far enough to go just past the spring hanger mount. I'll be using the USCT mini tub and spring relocation packs. The new spring mount will get attached to the new SFC's. The existing rails were slit so I could pull in the vertical walls of them, after drilling spot welds on floor to enable movement, clamped them to the new SFC's and rosette welded them to the new plus where the slits happened. Back end was similar. I made up new seat mount sub frames that attach to the SFC's.

0139CF3D-59EC-41C5-8CB8-3B9CF4CA7F7F.jpeg

F7B726D3-18C3-40E5-8DE1-5D5C98DB8B6F.jpeg

7EFED070-21FE-4831-85FF-F028F5DDBA8E.jpeg

05A6BEA5-72D1-40D6-80BC-42AC245F0FB9.jpeg

A87144C2-DF6B-433B-BA07-CC7F6241CB17.jpeg

I bought and installed a set of bolt ins from summit can't recall the brand name.
After install I ran a couple beads on each end both sides just because.
the weld to the floor are better I was just lazy and didn't want to pull the seats, carpet and sound mats.
I am happy with mine they did stiffen the old gal up.

Auto Transport Service
Back