• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sudden Problems with Steering

1966Belvert

Local time
8:58 AM
Reaction score
All,

I drove my 1966 Plymouth Belvedere II to Ocean City, MD for the annual Cruisin' Ocean City event. It was a 165 mile trip, and the old girl performed flawlessly. However, I went to drive it this afternoon, and the steering column is binding badly. It's a column shift automatic, and turning the steering wheel will now move the shift lever. I can't drive it without keeping my hand on the lever for turns.

The car has a Borgeson power steering box from Bergman Autocraft, with the accompanying coupler and power steering pump. Is it likely that the power steering box is causing the binding? Can it be easily adjusted?

Thanks for any advice you can give. My wife is joining me tomorrow, so I won't be stranded. But I don't relish the idea of having it towed back home.

Steve Lewis

That sounds like an issue with the lower bearing/bushing in the column. The steering shaft and the inner shift tube are not connected in any way other than being common to that lower bearing. If the bearing is almost seized and either the bearing housing retainer screws have came out or sheared off it would allow the exact symptom you describe.

The plate at the firewall that seals off around the column may have slipped out of position. I once reinstalled my column with the column off center and there was a definite bind. It was enough to reduce the tendency for the wheel to return to center after a turn.

If it’s a manual column they don’t have a lower bearing. But I’m ignorant of Borgeson PS adaptions and if they can or can’t be matched up to a manual column.

Agree with the above posts.....sounds like a column issue, not steering box. A `66 doesn't even have a collapsible safety column, IIRC, therefore, pretty simple. I'd look at bearings and the shift collar carefully.

BTW, not to hijack your thread....but I went to your welcome page to look for some pics of that beauty....:thumbsup::thumbsup:.

My '66 belvy2 (hardtop), was originally the same color.....and the interior was Dark Green/Citron. Anyway, I agree, skirts are rare!! Only one I ever saw was here in Ohio, back in the `90s, and it was a convertible, in the same color as yours, which is why it was memorable to me. Anyway.....nice car!!

I had a Duster that did that. The inside of the column was corroded. Take the column apart. You'll find your issue.
Doug

Thanks to everyone for the replies. When I went out this morning to try to further diagnose the problem, I noticed right away that one of the 4 bolts that hold the column to the firewall was missing. I found it under the carpet and put it back in, and made sure all 4 bolts were tight. That solved 95% of the issue (I still notice a slight binding), but the 95% solution will do until I can get back home. I think the column must be slightly out of alignment, but I don't have the resources to fix while so far away from my garage.

BTW, not to hijack your thread....but I went to your welcome page to look for some pics of that beauty....:thumbsup::thumbsup:.

My '66 belvy2 (hardtop), was originally the same color.....and the interior was Dark Green/Citron. Anyway, I agree, skirts are rare!! Only one I ever saw was here in Ohio, back in the `90s, and it was a convertible, in the same color as yours, which is why it was memorable to me. Anyway.....nice car!!

Thanks, Lefty71! Currently, the skirts are off the car. I found a set of spinner hubcaps off a 66 Satellite, and the skirts mostly cover the spinners. Here is what she looks like now.
IMG_1062[1].JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back