• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suggestions for a great carpet cleaning solution ?

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:24 AM
Reaction score
I have family coming over this weekend and I need to suck the rugs.
I have a vacuum/carpet cleaner combo that uses a cleaning solution and a water solution for rinsing. I've tried a few store brands of cleaning solution but nothing has really stood out and impressed me. I've used some bleach mixed in, once I tried some Purple Power, Some generic "heavy duty" stuff from Home Depot but nothing seems much better than the others.
I have some traffic areas, some dirt, grease, pet stains and such. We have 3 dogs so they track backyard dust and dirt inside.
Anyone have a recommendation?

I've done this a few times myself. It's best to call a professional carpet cleaning company. They are faster and do a better job than the homeowner can do with the equipment you can rent.

Last edited:
I've done this a few times myself. It's best to call a professional carpet cleaning company. They are faster and do a better job than the homeowner can do with the equipment you can rent.
I'm not renting. I have a machine here.

Hardwood floors
Thanks for the not so helpful reply....I'm not laying down 1000 square feet of hardwood floor in 2 days.

:poke:

800 sq ft of the house is already mismatched hardwood, the rest is carpet. The goal is to eventually put matching hardwood in all rooms that currently have it as well as one more room. I still like carpet so about half of the house will still have it.

BOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !

All the carpet cleaning solutions for those kinds of machines I’ve used seem to be basically the same. I do like the Zep branded stuff in general.

One tip is to use hot water. Full hot from the tap. Helps get more gunk out.

The machines need to have enough power to agitate the dirt below the surface loose and then suck it out. If you have deep pile carpet or it’s been a while between cleanings, some of the home-gamer machines don’t have the same kind of power as the rentals or pro-quality stuff.

I would just say to go really slow or plan to do a few passes. You can pre-treat high traffic sections with Resolve and agitate with a nylon bristle attachment on a drill. Low speed but firm pressure.

We had 1500 sq ft of white carpet in our last house and keeping it clean was a major chore.
Good luck!

Auto Transport Service
Back