• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide doors? Who likes them?

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:58 AM
Reaction score
Just can't wrap my head around them. They just seem so out of the norm.....and think it would take me a good while to get used to them if that ever happened. Never was much on forward opening hoods either unless it was a hood (more like a complete front end) like the early Viper used.

On a 30's or 40's car I do like them...

Modern cars, not so much
seen a couple trucks that have had it done
on older/lowered-stance trucks
looked good

It does make it easier to get in & out
but;
need to protect them from accidentally opening while driving, at speed
it'll suck your butt out (was the ol' wives tale)

Aerodynamic speed brakes. Otherwise, no.

College roommate had a 64 Lincoln Continental. I absolutely loved the suicide rear doors. I'm 6'4" and it honestly makes getting in and out of the back seat so much easier.

Makes it easier to get in and out in my opinion. Also very handy for late night poaching runs like they used to use my family's old 38 buick for.

Well the car was purchased when it was just a couple years old by some relatives. I think it changed hands within the family a couple times. Probably had at least 200k put on it in its life. Maybe 300. As it got used up it was eventually relegated to a ranch hoopty. They'd take it out rabbit hunting, coyote hunting, probably poached some deer and antelope too bombing through the pastures. Eventually it wound up in the barn and neglected for a long time. Dad bought it about 15-20years ago and we restored it. My goodness does she carry some battle scars though. They hit so hard once that the fan and radiator hit. Radiator still holds though and we left it in. Also the middle of the frame has a huge hit upward from the bottom. Not other marks on the front or rear undercarriage though. I figured the car has seen some air time and landed on a stump. As we were cleaning it out there were 22 shells and 12 ga hulls in every conceivable spot inside. We kept some and keep them in the ash tray as part of its story. Super neat car though!

I like them on the rear doors of old school 4-doors..not that 4-doors were or will ever be cool:p
:poke::poke:

I like them on the rear doors of old school 4-doors..not that 4-doors were or will ever be cool:p
I think my four door Imperial (1933) with suicide rear doors is kinda cool....
And I like 33/34 Ford coupes better than 32s, because of the suicide doors.

I wouldn't say no to a 1967 Thunderbird with suicide doors.
9916cafa9e4ca038dbf3edef56baef20.jpg

001.jpg

For an SUV, I find the Rolls Royce interesting, but far too large for my tastes.
Cullinan-MR-1.jpg

To each their own. People seem to think my 78 Monaco Police is pretty cool.

On a 30's or 40's car I do like them...

Modern cars, not so much
seen a couple trucks that have had it done
on older/lowered-stance trucks
looked good

It does make it easier to get in & out
but;
need to protect them from accidentally opening while driving, at speed
it'll suck your butt out (was the ol' wives tale)
It happened to my wife when she was about 5 years old. Back seat of a 49 Nash, door wasn’t tight she opened it to close and threw her out into the ditch. Low speed lots of scrapped skin on her legs.

I had a 2001 Ram with the suicide doors for the extended cab. Well, sort of half doors really. But they sure were nice! Allowed for full use of the extra room because it got rid of the pillar.
Buddy bought a used Mazda RX8. Not my type of car but the door design I thought was well thought out as far as form/function for what the car was.

Although not crazy about the car, I liked how the Saturn Ion quad coupe had no door handles on the rear suicide doors, making it look cleaner like a two door when doors were closed.
OW6cthZ1zQHaEK?w=276&h=180&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=2&pid=1.jpg
1682473646327.png

I like them if the car came with them. Really like the T-bird's Photon440 posted.

I think the only people who would like suicide doors...are those who wish to commit suicide.

After seeing suicide doors on a midnight blue '62 Lincoln at a new car show that year I've loved the look on that car ever since. Not on anything else. Elwood Engle got it right on that one. The fact that the same vehicle became the platform for the Kennedy limo added to the mystique for many of us who lived that era.

After negative experiences with my mom's '51 Tudor, I could never bring myself to own a Ford product. I hedged by driving a '66 Imperial in the 90s, styled by Elwood Engle, after he left Ford for Chrysler.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back