• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sump gasket replacement

Justin B

Local time
1:26 AM
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm doing some work to our 69 coronet, 440, 4 speed to get it legal for our country. I've got the gearbox out at the moment, and noticed quite a bad oil leak around the rear of sump pan. I will be pulling the clutch and flywheel next weekend to check the rear main. Motor us a 71 440 HP with windage tray
My question is, can I change the pan gasket and maybe rear main with engine in place?
Or am I just better off the pull the engine and do the gaskets on the engine stand.
I know I can't do the pan in place on my 67 Fury, but the bee looks like it has a bit more room once I drop the steering linkage

Thanks, Justin

You can complete those tasks in the car with a B body.

Separate the joints and pull the center link out to for access to the pan and can be done working overhead, but of course much easier with engine out and the engine flipped over.

since you are already pulling the clutch and flywheel just pull the engine.
clean it all up
inspect everything
new gaskets
then re-install
it'll be so much more easy and more thorough

Last edited:
Hi all, I'm doing some work to our 69 coronet, 440, 4 speed to get it legal for our country. I've got the gearbox out at the moment, and noticed quite a bad oil leak around the rear of sump pan. I will be pulling the clutch and flywheel next weekend to check the rear main. Motor us a 71 440 HP with windage tray
My question is, can I change the pan gasket and maybe rear main with engine in place?
Or am I just better off the pull the engine and do the gaskets on the engine stand.
I know I can't do the pan in place on my 67 Fury, but the bee looks like it has a bit more room once I drop the steering linkage

Thanks, Justin
what's required to make it legal there?

what's required to make it legal there?
Not too much.
Because it was born a small block auto, and is now a big block 4 speed, disk brakes etc, the powers that be want to inspect those "modified" areas. Because the parts are all factory, it will pass easy, I will need to install a driveshaft hoop. The 4 speed hump needed a tidy from the underside.
The spline adapter that joins the power steering column to the manual steering box isn't legal here either, so I'm putting power steering back in.
I may also have to try to disguise that it's had a rear quarter replaced
It has some tears in the stamped holes in rear of chassis from towing that need to be repaired, after that it's just a check to see if it's roadworthy

the rear quarter baffles me, are you not allowed to do body work on vehicles! the driveshaft hoop isn't factory, is that something that is required for imported vehicles? probably a good idea anyway unless you plan on bowling for sheep!

Yes, I am allowed to do body work to the vehicle. But they are picky on how it is done. They don't like lap welds when a panel is stiched on, they prefer butt welds.
This rear quarter, while stiched on quite nicely, is lap welds. If I can disguise lap welds on the rocker panel, the inspector may not notice. Otherwise I may need to remove the paint around the area, so the repair can be inspected.
As for the hoop, the rule is when a rwd car has been made 25% more powerful then it left the factory, it requires a d/shaft hoop.
Yes it's a lot of rules, but it's what I have to do if I want the car road legal

Yes, I am allowed to do body work to the vehicle. But they are picky on how it is done. They don't like lap welds when a panel is stiched on, they prefer butt welds.
This rear quarter, while stiched on quite nicely, is lap welds. If I can disguise lap welds on the rocker panel, the inspector may not notice. Otherwise I may need to remove the paint around the area, so the repair can be inspected.
As for the hoop, the rule is when a rwd car has been made 25% more powerful then it left the factory, it requires a d/shaft hoop.
Yes it's a lot of rules, but it's what I have to do if I want the car road legal
Dang...and I thought OUR government was a bunch of petty, invasive snoops, looking for an easy payday. Good luck!

Auto Transport Service
Back