• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sunpro tach bouncing

wagonman

Local time
1:18 PM
Reaction score
just got done with the HEI conversion. Went from a GM 990 module and an older oil filled coil to a Pertronics 60103 coil and Accel 35361 module. Now the tach bounces what am I missing?
IMG_0552.JPG

I’ll be watching have a similar problem. Bounces and reads high.

The HEI module is still an inductive discharge ignition system

You just installed a very low ohm primary resistance E coil designed around the Pertronix Ignitor 111 module

Try installing your canister type oil filled coil and see if your Tachometer reads correctly , and then

Looking at My own Pic and you can see where the yellow tach wire is on the Coil tower and boot. Moved it and still the same.

The HEI module is still an inductive discharge ignition system

You just installed a very low ohm primary resistance E coil designed around the Pertronix Ignitor 111 module

Try installing your canister type oil filled coil and see if your Tachometer reads correctly , and then
Will have to source another coil as the old one is junk.

Any old 1.4 - 1.5 OHM primary resistance oil filled coil

Your just doing a simple test first , then

Define “bouncing.” I’ve had a bad plug wire cause the tach to bounce.

Define “bouncing.” I’ve had a bad plug wire cause the tach to bounce.
Needle fluctuating incorrectly according to RPM of engine is how I read that.

You may be experiencing "High voltage induction" due to the tachometer supply wire being too close and /or running almost parallel to the HT lead off the centre of the coil.

This is a condition which can be cured (or disproved) by simply running the wires away from the HT cable, and as a test you could wrap the wire in foil. Normally I would run a twisted pair with a foil screen to really be sure of getting rid of that problem. I have done this before on a bespoke ignition system in a Hot-rod.
Same problems can arise when running a Hall-effect speedometer and too close to ignition cabling.

It has newer plug wires on and the engine runs fine, I will give the foil a try and also the twisted wires also wrapped.

But seriously if you install a shielded cable with a drain wire.
Cut and heat shrink at the coil end and then strip out and ground near the tachometer.

But seriously if you install a shielded cable with a drain wire.
Cut and heat shrink at the coil end and then strip out and ground near the tachometer.
Thanks Don, after doing some research I did what you suggested with some foil and a drain wire wrapped in electrical tape and heat shrink. It worked thanks again.

I have a bunch of 9463 let me know if you would like some.
Screenshot_20210619-143215.png

Auto Transport Service
Back