• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superbird engine date codes.

mymcodebee

Local time
12:58 AM
Reaction score
Been a while since I've posted over here as we have been working on E-bodies for a while now.
We have a new superbird in the shop and it has nearly all of its rare hard to find parts except that its original engine is long gone. We have a long way to go before it needs to be installed but I am just wondering which engine we should send out to be rebuilt.

We have two factory replacement blocks.
One is a Feb 70 440 and the other is a late 69.
Which one would be more correct for this superbird.
The bird is a V code auto.

But if you blew up the original engine under warranty either probably works.. My warranty block was cast 12-18-70

Late 69 is a better fit. My Bird has a build date of 11-30-69 as a lot were. 6-8 weeks earlier should be a perfect fit for a NOM.

Guess it comes down to whether you want to do like some shops do for a "numbers match" or admit it's a warranty block and install it with a blank VIN pad.

When did the original engine blow? January 1970, or July 1973?

Whatever dealership the car was towed to, they now need an engine for this car. They would install what they had in stock if they have one. And it could have been a 1966 dated block, because they got one in years ago and never used it until your car arrived.

Or they have order an engine and they got what they got, could have been a 1972 date.

Nothing says they would hunt down an engine that is closely dated to the body. That’s the car hobby guys wishful thinking these days.

When did the original engine blow? January 1970, or July 1973?

Whatever dealership the car was towed to, they now need an engine for this car. They would install what they had in stock if they have one. And it could have been a 1966 dated block, because they got one in years ago and never used it until your car arrived.

Or they have order an engine and they got what they got, could have been a 1972 date.

Nothing says they would hunt down an engine that is closely dated to the body. That’s the car hobby guys wishful thinking these days.

Sorry, I think I muddied the post a bit with some misinformation. The engine in the bird did not fail and was not replaced with a replacement engine. The owner pulled the engine long ago and it is long gone.
So the factory replaced unstamped aspect really isn't that important, however I was just wondering what the date codes are for the majority of bird engines so I could determine if a 2/70 or late 69 engine is the best bet for the owner to state "it does not have the correct engine but it is as close to the correct date that we could provide". From what I have read so far it appears the late 69 is a better choice.
Thank you for the info.

Auto Transport Service
Back