• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superbird value and what would you pay?

luis9995

Local time
9:48 PM
Reaction score
Like myself many people have the dream of owning a superbird. But the values are too high for your average joe.

If given the chance to buy one of these cars. What would you actually be willing to pay for a 440-6 bird project and how does it compare to actual cost of one of these projects.

I didnt think these came with 6 packs.. just 4bbls on 440s. but in any case.. it all depends what your willing to pay on one of those.. ..

I'd spend more than I have if the right car came along....I would think a decent 440-6 project car needing a resto with all the parts would be worth 75-95k if numbers match on driveline and the nose isn't hurt or rotted, 55-85 for a rotter numbers match 440-6, and 45-75 for a non numbers match any condition project. Of course it just depends on what you find and how much they are asking...not a lot floating around, just my thoughts. Just have to remember that a nose, or headlight assly, wing, or any wing car only parts are crazy money...so the more complete and useable, the better overall you will be and spending 10k to 20k more for a car that's not missing a nose or wing will be better for you in the long run.

I'd spend more than I have if the right car came along....I would think a decent 440-6 project car needing a resto with all the parts would be worth 75-95k if numbers match on driveline and the nose isn't hurt or rotted, 55-85 for a rotter numbers match 440-6, and 45-75 for a non numbers match any condition project. Of course it just depends on what you find and how much they are asking...not a lot floating around, just my thoughts. Just have to remember that a nose, or headlight assly, wing, or any wing car only parts are crazy money...so the more complete and useable, the better overall you will be and spending 10k to 20k more for a car that's not missing a nose or wing will be better for you in the long run.
I agree with spending more than I have. Would sell my two projects and still take out a loan on the rest haha. But finding a superbird is hard enough especially a project and one that's not too far gone or owner asking a crazy amount. Maybe someday right?

You just have to keep searching...tell everyone you know what your looking for...might take a few years...but I found a 70 Superbird for my friend last year for 75 k. Is a 440-6 4 speed console all numbers match with matching radiator, hoses, dist. etc. every nut and bolt original, ek2 vitamin c orange. Is on a rotisserie now and I'm patching a few small rust areas.. nothing larger than a deck of cards. When I am looking for something, I respond to every mopar advertisement on CL, Hemmings, Etc. and ask if they have or know of a____ for sale and you'd be surprised how many responses you get. Every car I have found wasn't for sale anywhere.

You just have to keep searching...tell everyone you know what your looking for...might take a few years...but I found a 70 Superbird for my friend last year for 75 k. Is a 440-6 4 speed console all numbers match with matching radiator, hoses, dist. etc. every nut and bolt original, ek2 vitamin c orange. Is on a rotisserie now and I'm patching a few small rust areas.. nothing larger than a deck of cards. When I am looking for something, I respond to every mopar advertisement on CL, Hemmings, Etc. and ask if they have or know of a____ for sale and you'd be surprised how many responses you get. Every car I have found wasn't for sale anywhere.
Wow very helpful however I live in Southern California where people don't have the space to store cars or those cars in general. However Northern California they may So I'll try on ads up there! Thanks! Appreciate it. If you come across another let me know please! I'll even slide you a little finders fee. Might not be big but a small token of my appreciation if you find me one and I end up buying it. I've recently been looking a lot harder and everywhere.

I could afford to bolt a Superbird wing on my Satellite and take pictures only showing the back.

It is not your average car to paint.....So expect a much higher cost to paint and to assemble the body on a wing car.....

Concours paint jobs on these at the high end shops start around 100k......If your looking for a local shop that is good and I mean good will be about half that cost.....

So if your not going super nice and wanting a driver etc and an average paint job...Then all your money will be in the bodywork......

If your missing parts etc in relation to wing cars your in the HEMI category of parts prices......

Sometimes buying a nice restored car is a good path to go....and save a lot of headaches....

Or if you have the skills to do 90% than that is another good path...

Like myself many people have the dream of owning a superbird. But the values are too high for your average joe.

If given the chance to buy one of these cars. What would you actually be willing to pay for a 440-6 bird project and how does it compare to actual cost of one of these projects.

$65K to $70K all day long for a 440 6-V
I'd settle for a 440 4V (4BBL)
I too long for a Superbird
Had one lined up in 1984, Dayton Ohio (Air Force town)
White, auto column, 440 4V, blue Interior, bench seat
A little bit of rust....
Passed on it at a price of $3K

Help me Mr. Wizard.....

Mr wizard.jpg

tooter turtle.jpg

I never used to like them. Now I’m building a clone. I should have just bought a real one years ago.

I almost bought the same one as superbeeski, just 1 year earlier, for $2500.

That was his worst one, and IIRC he had two more and at least three 71 Super Bees as well. I went there to look at a loaded 69 Charger R/T sunroof car for $750!!

Is there a smiley for "kicks self for not doing it"?

I never used to like them. Now I’m building a clone. I should have just bought a real one years ago.
I have to disagree just for the mere fact your build is BADAZZ!

I do understand the cost though....but they are all money pits...

It is not your average car to paint.....So expect a much higher cost to paint and to assemble the body on a wing car.....

Concours paint jobs on these at the high end shops start around 100k......If your looking for a local shop that is good and I mean good will be about half that cost.....

So if your not going super nice and wanting a driver etc and an average paint job...Then all your money will be in the bodywork......

If your missing parts etc in relation to wing cars your in the HEMI category of parts prices......

Sometimes buying a nice restored car is a good path to go....and save a lot of headaches....

Or if you have the skills to do 90% than that is another good path...

Buy a race wing car. Restore to "as raced". Save a lot on paint! lol...

I have to disagree just for the mere fact your build is BADAZZ!

I do understand the cost though....but they are all money pits...

How things have changed in 35 yrs,I have a total of around 11K in this including the price of the car back in 1982 !!

Picture 270.jpg

I'd rather have a Daytona but too many want them too....

Sure would be cool to have either one show up in the shop...always have been just out of reach for me...even when they were cheap i was broke...

Like with any restoration project or completed car, it is always to best purchase the most that your financially able to afford. As has been mentioned above, the aero cars have specific parts that make them what they are. Restoring a 70 Road Runner project car can be a challenge if the car is missing various components. If this is a Super Bird and it is missing any of the key components then your going to have to be resourceful and most of all be willing to spend major dollars for those pieces.

The rear window plug, trim, the glass itself, jacks, package tray, headliner, lower K-member seals, front fenders and the list just goes on and on for items that are unique and thus pricey unless everything is there. Personally, it has gotten to the point that I feel that you can purchase a done car cheaper than a project car unless your willing and have the ability to do the work yourself. Then factor in possibly a two to five year turn around to get the car back on the road, so what is that cost?

And as mentioned earlier, your going to have to venture off of the beaten path. Very doubtful that your going to be able to purchase a steal at one of the major auction sites. But networking within the Mopar and automotive community is your best bet. There is a tremendous number of cars that are changing hands. These cars that I am finding out about are very desirable and most are selling at reasonable prices. Timing is everything. Good luck with the hunt.

Auto Transport Service
Back