• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suspension bushings

Scott Engelhardt

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:11 AM
Reaction score
My main project for my Satellite is to rebush the front and rear suspensions on my car. We drive the wheels off of this car so I want to make the factory suspension the best it can be. With that being said what bushings are you guys liking best? Urethane or the factory type? I was told that the harder urethane tend to be a little noisier. When I lower the car back to the cement I want all new joints, bushings, and shocks.
Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Cement is an adhesive. Rubber cement. Contact cement.
CONCRETE is the word that you are after. Cement is a component of concrete. Concrete is comprised of Cement, rock and sand.
:bananadance:
Get the rubber bushings in whatever kit that you buy. A street driver does not need the urethane EXCEPT for the sway bar and maybe in the strut rod area. I use urethane there for the reduced deflection. Wider tires weigh more and have more drag so urethane there cuts way down on deflection that occurs when turning on bumpy roads.
Bilstein shocks. Not KYBs, NOT Monroe, NOT Gabriel....Koni, Fox, Viking are all great but they cost a lot more. $400 for Bilsteins? Sounds expensive but they are a great shock for that money . Consider contacting FBBO sponsor PST or Firm Feel for what you need.

I agree with Kern Dog for using urethane for sway bar and strut rods to improve stifness in the setup.
With the rest in rubber bushings you maintain a comfortable ride.
I installed the Bilstein shocks when i rebuild mine, worth every penny IMO.

I agree with Kern Dog. I put urethane and KYB's on my Coronet. They squeak when it is humid now and the ride is STIFF. On my daughters Duster we used Moog OEM style except for the strut rods and I have not bought shocks yet (haven't been on the FF website with enough whiskey in me to pull the trigger on the Bilstein's!). If you don't have a Firm Feel stage 2 or 3 then that would be the only thing I would add to the list. I have stage 3 in my Coronet and put stage 2 in the Duster for my daughter, 3 is stiff enough that a one hand palm turn is tough in a parking lot. We don't have the Duster on the road yet so I can't give direct comparisons but I do know if I did the Coronet again I would go down the same path as the Duster based on a few years of driving the Coronet.

Can't speak for B-Bodies since I haven't gotten to that point yet on the Charger (Soon though), but on my Barracuda, I did all rubber except for the sway bar as Kern Dog said. I also went with the Bilstein shocks. Contact James from PST as I believe forum members get a discount on the Bilstein shocks. I believe it is a 10% discount, but on a set, that's $40 and better than a poke in the eye!

My suspension components were all from Firm Feel. I believe they are all Moog components. I will say they were all a bit tight when first installed. The steering wheels didn't want to come back very well coming out of a turn when first installed. 500 miles later, they have settled in now and are quiet and drive well.

Polygraphite from PST is what I used. Only slightly stiffer then OEM rubber and no squeaks. I drive mine a lot too and on some fairly rough roads sometimes, and it is definitely an upgrade to the handling aspect yet still rides pretty nice.

Yeah I know all about the cement/concrete My brother corrects me every time I misuse the two. I think that I do it without thinking just to drive him nuts thats what little brothers do!!

I used all polly bushings throughout, don't know what all the fuss is about ride roughness and squeaks? Mine rides really nice and the only noise I ever hear is when I sit it down from the lift. I'll put Poly in all of mine but I prefer a firm ride vs a mushy one too.

I used the polygraphite from PST everywhere on mine EXCEPT the LCA pivot shafts and the rear spring front eye bushing, both of those I used stock.

Suspensions are way too much work to put rubber back in. The rubber they use today is not the rubber they used in the 1960's. It's garbage, and the brand name Moog means nothing. They buy over seas garbage and put it in their box. (insert Tommy Boy guaranteed piece of **** clip here) I've seen new rubber control arm bushings get sideways in a years time. No thanks, I now do urethane in all my suspension rebuilds. As long as everything else is good, ball joints, shocks etc.... you are good to go. Build it once and drive it!

Last edited:
I have replaced all rubber with poly in both my mopars. Actually I'm just waiting for my engine rebuild to finish and will be fitting new poly bushings in the motor mounts. I prefer the stiffer ride rather than the original rubber. Very noticeable.

Auto Transport Service
Back