• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suspension Grease Compatability

Frankb

Local time
4:53 PM
Reaction score
Hello. I have used Mopar MS-4178, part # 04897841AA suspension grease in my older Dodge/Plymouth cars and in my TJ Wrangler for many years. Never any lubrication related problems. It's very "stringy". I am out of 4178 and I am unable to locate any more. I would like to use Valvoline SYN Power full synthetic. This is a NLGI #2 GC-LB Complex Lithium EP grease. (There is no NLGI designation on the Mopar 4178 lube) The Valvoline is good stuff. Is there any issue mixing these two lubricants? Thanks
Frank

I wouldn't be concerned about mixing the two lubricants. I would pump the grease in until you see the synthetic grease coming out.

Frank. I’ve recently used the Valvoline Synpower full synthetic-VV985, not for suspension, but to repack the rear axle bearings, during a refresh of the differential. Re compatibility, I’m not sure, and had solvent cleaned the bearings prior to repack. The VV985, appeared highly rated. I found it to be heavy bodied & tacky. I’ve previously used Mobil-1 synthetic grease for the suspension, but found after 2/3 years, the remaining portion in my grease gun had liquified. Anyway, I’m no expect in this stuff. Hope it helps...Jim

Auto Transport Service
Back