• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suspension height

696pack

Local time
8:31 AM
Reaction score
I have a the original that i photocopied and sold in years gone by although I have not advertised or sold it for quite some time. It is an interview with Dick Landy explaining in detail how they modified their cars from the factory for racing that allowed them to perform better on the strip and still be legal.

He states: " Don't raise the front of the car. It sould be left at the factory height. We ran our Dart with the front end high and found that when we put it back down we picked up 1 1/2 mph and .05 seconds."

He also said: "The whole car should rise on take off, not just the front. Most of the adjustments are done on the rear springs but we do a few tricks to the front suspension to loosen it up too."

You want to control the rate of rise too. Ever see a drag car actually see daylight under all 4 wheels at the same time? The guy had the right idea in the rise but his rate of rise was way off lol.

You want to control the rate of rise too. Ever see a drag car actually see daylight under all 4 wheels at the same time? The guy had the right idea in the rise but his rate of rise was way off lol.

Landy had a little trick for the rear suspension and of course the lighter torsion bars and some tricks for the front brake (although they would not be recommended for street use.)
He also suggested changing the bumper stops on the front to C body units so when the front suspension came back down they didn't hit too hard.

Auto Transport Service
Back