• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suspension overhaul order

mountain33

Local time
11:27 AM
Reaction score
Been dealing with a clunk in front end for awhile. Found a bad strut bushing on my 71 RR. While checking wheel bearings I've noticed bad upper control arm bushings (the rubber is bulging out). Plus the pitman arm needs replacing. I'm considering the kit from PST (standard). Is there an order to removing and assembling? I'm assuming (god i hate that word) Get to Upper control arm. Rebuild that and work out from there. Done everything else mechanical but have always been nervous about front ends. I got a quote for 750-1000 for labor. I provide parts. I would rather save the money do it myself. What do you think?

Do it yourself. You will need a good hydraulic press, minimum 10K. The few hundred you spend there you are still ahead.

You can do it yourself. In my experience the only difficult parts of this is the upper control ball joints and the strut rod bushings. A factory service manual will guide you through most of it. The problem with FSM's is the "special tools" they reference. You need to figure out how to make something work. Occasionally make your own.
Tie rod ends, lower ball joints, sway rod bushings, all fairly straightforward, not difficult.

I have the manual and have noted the specialty tools you refer to. I thought the same. I can make that. Am i correct upper control arm, then work my way out from there?

Upper control arms bushings are simple, press out and press in. The lower control arm bushings are the worst part of the whole job. There are several good YouTube videos that will show you how. You will need a correct socket to remove the upper ball joints.

If you would prefer to use Quality U.S.A. made parts,
rather than Chineseum parts --- P.M. me, as per forum rules....
If you want this quickly, P.M. me immediately, as I am headed to Englishtown, New Jersey Wednesday night....
Will be at the show there through Sunday......

Yours, Craig....

Where in NJ?

Juice everything up with your favorite penetrating oil.
Unwind the torsion bars.
Loosen the upper ball joint.
Split the upper ball joint from the steering knuckle.
Remove the drum or rotor.
Use boxes or coat hangers to support the steering knuckle.
Remove the upper control arm.
Remove the lower ball joint.
Clean up all the hardware, coat it with never seize.
Replace the bushings.
Put it back together.

Jim Lusk's tutorials on LCA bushing removal and install.

Last edited:
I have the manual and have noted the specialty tools you refer to. I thought the same. I can make that. Am i correct upper control arm, then work my way out from there?

Get the special socket, and a long bar for the upper ball joint. All the rest is pretty simple, except the strut bushings.

A little MAP gas torch goes a long way w the upper control arm ball joint w the special socket. Best to break it loose while it's still on the car.

I thank you all for the information. B-bodies forum never disappoints. I didnt know there was a swap meet this weekend at Englishtown. I'm about 90 min from there. I was planning to attend show up at an airport in Hudson valley. I see a road trip coming my way. Thanks again for everyone's help

mountain33,
I am here at the Wawa 2 Miles from Englishtown --- in the torrential precipitation --- when it gets out of here at 6 or 7 A.M., it should be absolutely beautiful the rest of the weekend --- today / Friday through Sunday.....

I am at R I 27 --- see your P.M. ....... Craig.....

A little MAP gas torch goes a long way w the upper control arm ball joint w the special socket. Best to break it loose while it's still on the car.

Ya some heat does a lot. Either the MAP gas or Oxy/Acet, what ever you have. Agree needs to be in place on car.

Auto Transport Service
Back