• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suspension Suggestions for 70 B Body

streetmachine

Local time
3:49 AM
Reaction score
So, I have a 70 B Body with a later stockish 440 in it and the car will be mainly used as a cruiser mainly. Where I live the roads can be a little rough but, mainly rural for now. Based upon the research I've done my future plan is Bilstein shocks, new bushings, and new ball joints replacing the worn out stuff.

Here's lies my question. Should I stick with the stock control arms for a cruiser? I've read the bottom ones have a tendency to flex or are kind of weak. I thought about upgraded ones because I'm not sure if it would be easier to service things? Anyways, the other thing I thought about is maybe a Hellwig sway bar on the front?

The only reason why I have thought about these things is because the 440 does add a lot of weight to the front of the car. Also, should I try to stick to mainly rubber bushings since I want a fairly smooth ride? As I said this will be a cruiser so no road coarse or drag racing here.

Stock control arms with new rubber bushings works very well.

Is this a 318 or 383-2bbl car originally? Bigger torsion bars will make it drive better with the added weight of the 440. And adding a sway bar helps a lot for corners.

Stock rebuild with big block torsion bars, and front sway bar if it isn't already equipped. IMO. These cars rode good and handled good for street use in the day and are plenty adequate for today.

Based upon the research I've done my future plan is Bilstein shocks, new bushings, and new ball joints replacing the worn out stuff.

If this stuff is worn out your leaf springs are probably due for change too. :)

Consider a rear frame mount sway bar. 6 leaf spring pack too. Get the stock ride height or consider 1 inch lift. The 1 inch gives the car the rake that a lot like. Not the best for handling but... "it's got the look".

Last edited:
Stock rebuild with big block torsion bars, and front sway bar if it isn't already equipped. IMO. These cars rode good and handled good for street use in the day and are plenty adequate for today.
I just drove my baby to the shop for the winter . I got sway bars all around , and was just saying to myself damn she is smooth .

Stock control arms with new rubber bushings works very well.

Is this a 318 or 383-2bbl car originally? Bigger torsion bars will make it drive better with the added weight of the 440. And adding a sway bar helps a lot for corners.
It was a 318 car originally. I don't think the torsion bars were changed but, I'm not certain at this point.

Thank you. This stuff looks pretty worn and the car when we got it was already cobbled together.

If this stuff is worn out your leaf springs are probably due for change too. :)

The rear springs are on my list as well.

Consider a rear frame mount sway bar. 6 leaf spring pack too. Get the stock ride height or consider 1 inch lift. The 1 inch gives the car the rake that a lot like. Not the best for handling but... "it's got the look".

I thought about that but, I'm uncertain which is why I mentioned upgrading the front sway first. The car has a bit of rake as I'm running 275/60/15s in back and 235/60/15s up front currently.

Thank you. I'll have to consider some of those books. As for Firm Feel I've heard many positive things generally about them but, I realize these days there are other options as well.

I just drove my baby to the shop for the winter . I got sway bars all around , and was just saying to myself damn she is smooth .

Thank you for sharing that. I'll give it some thought on the rear bar but, I'll start with some of the basic stuff first.

Rebuild the front end using good components (personally I like urethane bushings
Get some Moog offset UCA bushings to help get a better alignment on the car
Use some really good shocks like Bilstein's or QA1 (don't need adjustable)
Put some 1.1 - 1.2" T bars in
If you don't have sway bars, get some
Make sure you have good tires
Get a good alignment

Thank you. I'll have to consider some of those books. As for Firm Feel I've heard many positive things generally about them but, I realize these days there are other options as well.

Thank you for sharing that. I'll give it some thought on the rear bar but, I'll start with some of the basic stuff first.

Hard to beat Firm Feel, they will have everything you need and are exclusively Mopar guys that know and race these cars

For a cruiser I would start with a front end rebuild using rubber bushings. The lower control arms stock due tend to have flex to them. This can be addressed adding a stiffening plate to the lower control arm. For better handling and control upgrade to 1" torsion bars. We have 1.03 bars that we designed with 20 degrees of clocking so that they install like factory and attain factory ride with no issue. Then for comfort you will want to purchase a quality set of shocks like Bilsteins. With their digressive valving they will react to the drips and sways in the roade quickly to provide the ideal ride. All of this we have available at www.p-s-t.com.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks
James From
PST

For a cruiser I would start with a front end rebuild using rubber bushings. The lower control arms stock due tend to have flex to them. This can be addressed adding a stiffening plate to the lower control arm. For better handling and control upgrade to 1" torsion bars. We have 1.03 bars that we designed with 20 degrees of clocking so that they install like factory and attain factory ride with no issue. Then for comfort you will want to purchase a quality set of shocks like Bilsteins. With their digressive valving they will react to the drips and sways in the roade quickly to provide the ideal ride. All of this we have available at www.p-s-t.com.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks
James From
PST

I have my T bars cranked down about 1 1/2” from stock. Will your bars give me good handling and support if lowered like I have currently ?

Yes they will provide support even at a lowered stance. That is in part to the 20 clocking or pre load that was engineered into the bars so these can be run at either a stock or lowered stance.

Thanks
James From
PST

im not a fan of poly bushing there so squeaky , unfortunately super pro don't make bushing for molars just British stuff there above the rest so so good ,

I got my front torsion bars and leaf spring from my local dealer ! cheap in stock ha for a 50 plus year old car. I look up the Mopar performance number on summit and call dealer. great prices

I also used the Bilstein shocks and they are very good.
Once you hold a lower control arm in your hand you will understand the need of the reinforcement plates that can be welden on the arm. (i can recommend them as well)
I would stay away from those poly bushings, just use Moog or PST their rubber bushing kits and you will be happy.

Is it a good idea to weld the LCAs reinforcement plates while still on the car. The car will be on a drive on lift. I don't see anything wrong with do this. Maybe by having the weight on them is good idea.

Auto Transport Service
Back