• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Swap meet and dealing with parts vendors

Jetblast

Local time
11:58 AM
Reaction score
Drove up to the swap meet from Northern Kentucky this morning, was planning on going with the Tri-state Mopar Club but late start.
Pretty good show lot of sellers but not much in the way of good deals at least not for stuff I needed. Did score a couple of good items an original 4 speed console insert and a Hemi scoop from VPN Fiberglass for my 65 Coronet. Insert was $60. which I was good with considering I had not been able to find one, and the scoop was $150., which is the selling price but saved the shipping. Looks like a nice piece but haven't checked the fit yet.
Of course, all of the dealers were allowed to go in and buy up whatever parts they wanted so it was basically retail day for the masses. Makes going to the meets almost useless anymore. The only thing that the used parts guys had left was the stuff that they've were selling retail, glad I didn't need much .
Anyone getting the feeling that the day of the true muscle era and people like those of you reading this is waning. I wonder when those of us who are in the, say that 30 years old and up bracket, either die or figure out they don't have the discretionary funds to support a classic car habit what will happen . It amazes me now that many of the vendors that want us to buy their products act like they are doing us a favor by selling to us. I have been trying to buy an item from one particular vendor that I thought would be a nice addition to the Coronet build I am doing. I had a couple of questions about it and emails went unanswered thought maybe I had said something to make them angry but when I called it was just missed, OK no problem. So I asked him for an invoice so I could place an order, more than $.2200., and when I finally did get a list, the main item was $200. more than the price on their website and another item was $40. more than I was quoted, the one quoted was not the one needed. When I asked about the $200. difference, I was told that it was wrong on the website and had been for a long while but he was just not an internet guy so, oh well.
So I am a small business owner and one of the main interfaces with the potential clients these days is my website, and so is his. I know that if I told someone that prices I had on my website were off by more than 10% and I just didn't change them because I "am not an internet guy" , I would be out a client, and so is he
So my big question in all of this is, is business for classic car parts vendors so good that we have to put up with lousy service and poor attitudes?
For me, this all boils down to whether I have a stock 18 spline transmission or a nifty overdrive, stock it is for me . I thought it might make the car more drivable over longer distances, but I will get over it.
Maybe if we decided to stop buying when the seller really doesn't care, or at least acts like they don't care ,maybe things would change.

Who was the vendor?

Swap meets are a crap shoot.
Lots of dreamers selling the same stuff we see at their spots year after year.

I've been dealing with a handful of vendors lately. No experience like that.

I still like swap meets even though I rarely buy anything. The internet makes it pretty easy to buy stuff your looking for... instantly. Push a couple keys and few days later it's on your porch.

I like to deal with "garage cleaners", plain old joes like most of us.The "gippers" as our group calls them are avoided. POPS

Yea on the garage cleaners, kind of like what flea markets used to be, now just import junk and Craftsman tools exchanged and selling for retail. Used to love going.
I am having a hard time outing the vendor that I had such a poor experience with but if anyone wants to pm me ,I would be glad to share.
I kind hope we might start a thread sharing information about experiences with vendors and service providers and asking about same before spending out car dollars. Obviously I would hope that it would be done with out bitterness because they wouldn't accept an offer or don't offer free service but if someone does, or if working with a vendor is a pleasant experience, shout it out. I am a big advocate of giving business to those who appreciate it rather than feel like they are entitled.

Agree with too many dream vendors. Takes even the fun of just browsing when you see the ridiculous prices.

Agreed, I over payed - in my opinion - for some unobtanium that I had to have at a famous swap. He knew what he had. Not complaining, the guy has to make $$$ to haul this stuff all over the West. Many probably have dealt with him, lots of transmissions. I got dash parts.
I am not a vendor, but pledge to sell needed stuff I may have to an enthusiast for a below market fair price.

Agreed, I over payed - in my opinion - for some unobtanium that I had to have at a famous swap. He knew what he had. Not complaining, the guy has to make $$$ to haul this stuff all over the West. Many probably have dealt with him, lots of transmissions. I got dash parts.
I am not a vendor, but pledge to sell needed stuff I may have to an enthusiast for a below market fair price.
Last year I went to two Mopar swapmeets here in the midwest. One was Mopars on the Missisippi, The other Mopars In The Park. Hadn't been to an only Mopar swap meet in 25 years. Got out of it in 1992 until 2004. Then the car bug resurfaced and I bought a different car and started over. From what I can tell there are lot of unsold parts being hauled back home. Some deals can be had but you have to look and hard. Tons of drivetrain components, MANY 4-speed items available for manual conversions. No shortages there in parts or pieces new or used. I was thinking geez...Is this stuff really that pricey now? There seems to be a lot of it compared to years ago. Reminded me of this... The part about artificially restricting the availability of the diamonds to keep the price up sort of felt like certain car parts, lol. By the way I love that old cranky bastard Roger in the clip!

You are exactly right. Like I said, we have been brain washed about the availability and the value of this stuff. I understand that a lot of this is not being even repopped but there is not a lot of people looking for a lot of it.
I have determined that if I can't get what I would like to have for at least a realistic price I will try to go a different direction.

Yep, HEMI prices for everything Mopar.......thanks Barrett Jackson!

An ad on Moparts. Am I the one that has lost his mind

One 15X7 steel wheel correct for 1970 and 1971, part number 2944450, date code 6-10-1970 $1000.00 (708)288-2879 Scott

Attachments
parts%202-19-18%20012.JPG

One 15X7 steel wheel correct for 1970 and 1971, part number 2944450, date code 6-10-1970 $1000.00 (708)288-2879 Scott

Yes his stuff is also on Facebook occasionally also.

Attachments
parts%202-19-18%20012.JPG

No. I think $100 is too much for a steel wheel.

Auto Transport Service
Back