• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Swaping 70 front to 69 (or 68)..what needs to be changed ?

acii

Local time
6:00 AM
Reaction score
Hy all,

next week i gonna check a 70 charger which looks Pretty reasonable..
The car will Need a Frame off Restauration.
Due to the fact that here in Germany, you dont have many possibilties to buy any chargers..
So i have to go most likely with this 70 charger.
Unfortunately my Favorit look belongs to the 68 or 69 chargers..

I have to restore and Change a lot of parts anyway… so pls let me know which parts Need to be swapped to go with a 69 or 68.

For my understanding…..

- Hood
- fenders
- grill
- valance
- bumpers

anything else ?

THx a lot
CU
AChim

you might have a little trouble getting the frame off that 70 charger.
I could never understand why people take perfectly good complete chargers apart and then install a mix-mash of different year parts back onto it. but whatever, it's your car.

as already said in my first message… i am located in GErmany… hard to find a charger anyway… you have to take what you get… and unfortunately i love the look of the 68 or 69.. so i have to do the swap..
so hope to find someone here who has done this swap already..
thx
achim

If your changing to a 68 the tail lite panel will have to be change rear bumper is the same I think for the 68-70.The front you will need the hood latch mechanism,bumper brackets n all the parts you listed,personal you have to decide on a 68 or 69 as a 68 grill with 69-70 taillights won’t look rite

Change your mindset and enjoy the 1970 Charger. Or sell this car to somebody who will appreciates a 1970 Charger

What are you going to do about the rear side markers that will not match the front?

How about the key and flasher switch on the column? No flasher switch in the dash?

When I bought my '70 in March of 2000, I was sure that I wanted to swap the front clip for a 1969 design. After a few weeks or so, I changed my mind. The '70 Grille and bumper just started to look better to me and the thought of keeping the body original made more sense.
If you are determined to make this swap, it is a lot of work but has been done many times. You will need to learn to weld. The side marker lamp holes can be filled, the taillight panel can be changed. The fenders and hood are reproduced for the 68 and 69 models. In fact, it is far easier to convert a '70 to a 68 or 69 than to go the other way because the 1970 fenders and hood are much harder to find. The '70 grille is a valuable piece.

When I bought my '70 in March of 2000, I was sure that I wanted to swap the front clip for a 1969 design. After a few weeks or so, I changed my mind. The '70 Grille and bumper just started to look better to me and the thought of keeping the body original made more sense.
If you are determined to make this swap, it is a lot of work but has been done many times. You will need to learn to weld. The side marker lamp holes can be filled, the taillight panel can be changed. The fenders and hood are reproduced for the 68 and 69 models. In fact, it is far easier to convert a '70 to a 68 or 69 than to go the other way because the 1970 fenders and hood are much harder to find. The '70 grille is a valuable piece.

You can count me out.

Why anyone would choose a 69 over a 68 or a 70 is beyond me; that split grille sucks...

Last edited:
The 1969 model was what drew me in. The General Lee was an Icon. My tastes have changed though. I also prefer the 68 and 70 styling more at this point.

Hy
thanks for all ur informations.... just for better understanding. I bought a rust bucket , so i have to do a fully frame off - restoration and have to change / weld a lot of new pieces on the car anyway...

So good to hear that the 70´grill is very rare and a valueable :)

Pls let me know if i only have to change the grill itself or do i need to replace also the whole structure of the headlamps ?

Big thx again
CU
Achim

Bad-*** - All three!

4bdae0259dc99cdef8691c42b691609d.jpg

The Dukes brought my love of the 69. As time goes on, the more and more I like the 70 Charger., high impact colors, 440-6 engine. 70 had alot of awesome going on. I work with high school students in a shop setting, the Fast and Furious movies have made a new generation that likes them too. They just cant afford them yet. Yet being the key word. I'd be willing to bet the 70 value beats the 68, 69 in the next decade.

Its your car, do what you want. Me, i'd leave it what it is.

Hy
thanks for all ur informations.... just for better understanding. I bought a rust bucket , so i have to do a fully frame off - restoration and have to change / weld a lot of new pieces on the car anyway...

So good to hear that the 70´grill is very rare and a valueable :)

Pls let me know if i only have to change the grill itself or do i need to replace also the whole structure of the headlamps ?

Big thx again
CU
Achim

You have to change everything from the firewall ahead to swap from a 70 to 68 or 69
Nothing is the same
Fenders are different
Head light stuff is different ( 70 head light doors are electric and 68 69 are vacuum which means you will have to change the whole dash to get it to work )
Hood is different
Grill is different
Front lower valance different

Then if you are going 68 the door locks are different spot than 69 70 door locks so different interior panels on doors

You might be farther a head to fix a 70 Charger and then if you do not totally love it sell it and use the money to buy the 68 or 69 when you find one
Think these cars are easier to sell than they are to find
If this is your first Charger use it as a learning tool so you know what to look for and where to look when a better one comes along

Auto Transport Service
Back