• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Swedging emblems on

Sahara

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:51 AM
Reaction score
Way North Canada. Polar Bear shaped license plates
FE5ACDCB-D8CF-41F4-A3BB-4BF00B65C5C9.jpeg

Not sure if this has been covered before, but here goes...
On my ‘70 Bee, and I’m sure on other cars, the tail panel Bee is sort of riveted on, where the stud is mushroom headed to hold it in the panel. I was scratching my head as how to do this. Here’s what I came up with so far, and I’m open to suggestions on how to improve the method.
I dug through the bolt bin until I found a bolt where the end was indented. I cut the head off, and chucked the shaft into my drill press. I dug through my old emblems and found one with a broken stud, with only a stub showing.
With the drill press running, you use the spinning shaft to mushroom head the stud. Steady pressure, and it goes pretty quick. I believe the pressure and friction melt the stud enough to spread it.
I’m still experimenting, but I believe this will work.
A hand drill won’t work because you need to be steady, and a fair bit of steady pressure.
You would need to rig up a way to hold the tail panel solidly on the drill press. I have a set of adjustable wings that mount on my press for steadying wide objects.
I would recommend practicing on scrap emblems to develop the technique.

View attachment 1028230

Not sure if this has been covered before, but here goes...
On my ‘70 Bee, and I’m sure on other cars, the tail panel Bee is sort of riveted on, where the stud is mushroom headed to hold it in the panel. I was scratching my head as how to do this. Here’s what I came up with so far, and I’m open to suggestions on how to improve the method.
I dug through the bolt bin until I found a bolt where the end was indented. I cut the head off, and chucked the shaft into my drill press. I dug through my old emblems and found one with a broken stud, with only a stub showing.
With the drill press running, you use the spinning shaft to mushroom head the stud. Steady pressure, and it goes pretty quick. I believe the pressure and friction melt the stud enough to spread it.
I’m still experimenting, but I believe this will work.
A hand drill won’t work because you need to be steady, and a fair bit of steady pressure.
You would need to rig up a way to hold the tail panel solidly on the drill press. I have a set of adjustable wings that mount on my press for steadying wide objects.
I would recommend practicing on scrap emblems to develop the technique.

I'm going to try drilling and tapping the stud with a 0-80 tap and use a 0-80 button head screw to hold the emblem on.
I'll machine a drill guide to guide the drill bit to center the hole. And very carefully tap it.

Auto Transport Service
Back