• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Switched ( Ign + ) Connection

64plybelvwgn

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:27 PM
Reaction score
Help, suggestions, please.

What is the most common place to pick up a switched ( Ign + ) point ? The fuse block in my 65 Belvedere is a mess. And I'll eventually replace everything. But to keep things running, as I wire in a Painless system, I need a good SW + to get the relay "running ".

It's been suggested I find the hot side on the ballast or the hot side on the voltage regulator, both located on the firewall.

Thank you , in advance. All help is appreciated .

What are you "switching"? The voltage regulator lead is not very big & won't handle large loads.

Both sides of ballas are hot in both stages ( RUN AND START ) just at diff voltage rates!

What do you need to feed with ign source?

Inside or outside the cab ?

The basic and tipical 12 volts need on engine bay is taken from the blue wire at ballast ( not the brown one ). This source is the same what feeds regulator. It feeds full voltage at RUN, but gets 4.5-9 volts ( depending on ballast stage ) while cranking

Last edited:
The switched 12 V is to go to a relay as part of a Painless re-wiring system. So i do not expect it to do more than " Switching " and not actually be full power to anything. Full Power ... That would be on the other side of the relay if I am correct.

Yes , Inside the cab. Therefore appears like blue wire is the way to go.

And thank you to everyone for your responses.

Ok, let's see.

Inside the cab you can get power from blue wire, but once again will decay to 4.5-9 volts while cranking because the blue circuit is retrofeeded from the cranking circuit through the ballast coming from brown wire, not anymore from blue ( hence the brake light on cluster dimming while cranking because this light is sourced from the run circuit, blue wire ), so if you need just the trigger and the relay holds the trigger on while cranking on low voltage is good.

Otherwhise, the ign switch and fuse box also gets a ign switch source which is not related to ign circuit, and is the black wire. This is acc, and is on on RUN, but off while cranking

Auto Transport Service
Back