• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Switching to an aluminum WP housing...440 with A/C

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:25 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys...
I am adding A/C back to this car. It had a 318 with A/C when I got it but I pulled it all out way back then.
Now that I am older and less tolerant, A/C makes more sense than ever. I have to change the water pump housing to work with the new radiator. I want to use an aluminum water pump housing but would like a recommendation on which one to use. 440 Source has a kit, Mancini Racing does too. Summit racing probably does as well.
Which one do you suggest?

These guys offer a natural finish and a polished one. $65 ?? Really ??
http://store.440source.com/Water-pump-housing-Aluminum-Drivers-Side-Lower-Hose/productinfo/200-1038/
440 water pump.jpg

I'm having a "fuzzy memory" on this.....Wasn't there a few reports of the 440 Source housings having fitment problems?

Ya I believe they were still
Useable though, a while back they were dumping them for $19.95. I tried to buy one the next day they were sold out.

I can just tell you from my experience installing it everything fit perfect. I also got their billet neck and everything looks and fits great.

I'm having a "fuzzy memory" on this.....Wasn't there a few reports of the 440 Source housings having fitment problems?

They had smaller passages than stock but I believe the issue was actually the cast vane style pump used.
I bought my aluminum housing off ebay, the pump from Summit.

Hell I dressed my whole front of the engine with 440 source pulleys, alternator bracket, pump and housing, water neck, billet valley pan hold down rails.

9C2F8BF4-078D-44F9-93B1-A2B2990F93F6.jpeg

9FF888F3-7BE2-4DF9-BDA2-ACA39ED876C6.jpeg

I would stay away from the complete kit Kern. The pump is junk. IMO, go with the 440 Source housing and the pump from Flowkooler. I installed on in my 440 and the results were extraordinary. With AC, the last thing you want is overheating issues.

View attachment 567781

https://www.flowkoolerwaterpumps.com/store/Water Pumps-MOPAR-CID: 440/7.2L/c21_37_204/p216/Water Pump 1679 - Big Block MOPAR<br>(1958-78)/product_info.html
Have you used 440 source pump? You’re making me want to change now before
I drop the engine in.

Have you used 440 source pump? You’re making me want to change now before
I drop the engine in.
I will NEVER use a stock type pump again after installing that Flowkooler. I was having overheating problems in the southern heat. I installed that pump with an Aluminum radiator and my car barely reaches 180 degrees. I swear by them. When you look at the impeller you can just tell it's badass. Worth the $115.00.

I would stay away from the complete kit Kern. The pump is junk. IMO, go with the 440 Source housing and the pump from Flowkooler. I installed on in my 440 and the results were extraordinary. With AC, the last thing you want is overheating issues.

View attachment 567781

https://www.flowkoolerwaterpumps.com/store/Water Pumps-MOPAR-CID: 440/7.2L/c21_37_204/p216/Water Pump 1679 - Big Block MOPAR<br>(1958-78)/product_info.html

I'm having issues with cooling myself, I presently have the Flowcooler pump and a 440 Source housing. I'm beginning to think the housing is restricting the flow. I took a stock housing and another 440 Source housing I had laying around and did some comparisons, Granted it is almost impossible to see all the passages but from what I can see there is a difference with the stock housing being larger.

I read on one of the forums not too long ago that the 440 Source housings were a problem.

I'm having issues with cooling myself, I presently have the Flowcooler pump and a 440 Source housing. I'm beginning to think the housing is restricting the flow. I took a stock housing and another 440 Source housing I had laying around and did some comparisons, Granted it is almost impossible to see all the passages but from what I can see there is a difference with the stock housing being larger.

I read on one of the forums not too long ago that the 440 Source housings were a problem.
I use the stock housing, and I no longer have overheating problems. The aluminum radiator with electric fan helped as well.

Since 2002, I have had 3 different 440 engines in the car, all with the same Griffin radiator. The car has never overheated and boiled over even once. I have yet to run A/C in any of these 440 engines. Currently it is a 440 based 493. I drove the car in September of last year on a 106 degree day. It ran up to 205 on the way home. This is with no shroud, a 180 Thermostat, a 50/50 mix of Dexcool and water. Stock type 7 blade fan and clutch. The water pump housing is stock cast iron with a RH inlet. Water pump is an aluminum Mopar Performance unit. 205 under those conditions doesn't seem too bad.
Now, I understand that A/C adds an additional strain to the cooling system. I would expect that an aluminum housing, a shroud and a new radiator should help. Add to that a smaller water pump pulley turning the pump faster.

Yes, get a shroud, definitely for A/C. There are reproductions for a factory 26" radiator, I have no idea if they'll work with the Griffin rad.

I have used the Mopar performance aluminum housing and pump and had no problems, but the pump just uses the stamped steel impeller part like a stock pump, but the shaft looks pretty heavy duty?
I also used a PRW pump housing with no issues. It looks like the ones 440 source sells? On that one, I did check and port the openings, and also checked the pump to housing clearance as I had the Fel-pro gaskets and the gaskets that came with the pump and they are different thickness. That kit used the cast swirl vane impeller.
That flow cooler pump looks nice. If I have issues in the future I might get that one.

The issue I had putting A/C on my car is the condenser blocking radiator air flow and having a hard time getting good airflow through the radiator with the Ford Contour fan module.

Auto Transport Service
Back