• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

System not charging the battery

vanrj1

Local time
3:21 AM
Reaction score
Everything has been working all summer and just recently I noticed the alternator gauge was not charging. I'm not sure what happened but it started working for a short time then stopped again. I tried wiggling all of the connections but still not working. Checked the battery while running and it is like 12.4v so I know it is not charging. Everything is new in the engine bay including wire harness. What the best way to trouble shoot this type of issue? I am not the best at electrical.

Amp gauge could have loosens up and their the weak link by pass it and if not that voltage regulator is my nextguess... amp gauge should be eliminated and use a volt meter or at the least get it 're soddrred up... basically mopar made great cars but the wireing was neglected even in the 60's it was out dated...

I had a similar problem. Bad alternator. I just took it to the parts store, they tested it, I bought a new one, end of story.

Amp gauge could have loosens up and their the weak link by pass it and if not that voltage regulator is my nextguess... amp gauge should be eliminated and use a volt meter or at the least get it 're soddrred up... basically mopar made great cars but the wireing was neglected even in the 60's it was out dated...

So what your saying is the current goes through the gauge to charge the battery so if the amp gauge is bad the battery wont charge? Thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back