• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tach Mount Position

VANDAN

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:35 AM
Reaction score
I'm close to needing to mount my tach in my '63 330, and looking for a good location, without drilling into the dash, or cluster bezel. Where have you all placed them, and pics would be great. I'm not using a distributor driven tach, so no cable on it, Thanks for any, and all input...

Had mine on the column but have a good peripheral vision and could focus on the tach more than the track and still keep the car in the groove.

Make a sheet metal mount that fastens under the cluster, bend it up to follow the contour of the bottom, around and over the shade projection. Weld in some mounting screws and bolt the tach on top. Pad the section on top and/or under to protect the paint.
Mike

If you have an unused bezel in the dash you can mount one in back. I think that is an AutoMeter.
20151123_211307.jpg

I tried to mount it on steering column, but it's too large for the space. I've been trying to avoid drilling into the dash surface, and no pad to tuck it under. Considering a smaller tach, or a bracket from the ashtray cut-out ?

Dan, I took the bracket that came with the tach and mounted it just below the dash pad just two small holes. Would be easy fix if I ever decide to move it. May be 2 person job to get it exactly where you want it.

I went a slightly different route with my '63 330 (It's a Canadian Dodge hence the Plymouth Dash) I removed the Temp and Fuel gauge from the cluster and installed the tach in their place. I then used a fuel gauge from a '62 and installed it where the clock would normally go. The Temp and Oil pressure gauges are in a panel that replaces the speaker screen (which was sunbaked crisp anyway) . I am not installing a radio of any type so no issue that way as I've installed the correct radio delete plate. The auxiliary gauges are from a 1958 Dodge Custom Royal and work very well. My tach is a Direct Connection tach P/N 3514430. I have a few extra instrument clusters so if required I can go back to stock. (I have to send one out for replating etc.) I believe the speaker screens are being reproduced but I'm not sure as yet by who. I did this simply because I do not like the Tachs and any auxiliary gauges hanging off the dash and all that. The tach is also right in front which helps when shifting. (I built a reverse pattern manual shift Torque Flite) .

rams 007.jpg

rams 008.jpg

P1010332.JPG

I went a slightly different route with my '63 330 (It's a Canadian Dodge hence the Plymouth Dash) I removed the Temp and Fuel gauge from the cluster and installed the tach in their place. I then used a fuel gauge from a '62 and installed it where the clock would normally go. The Temp and Oil pressure gauges are in a panel that replaces the speaker screen (which was sunbaked crisp anyway) . I am not installing a radio of any type so no issue that way as I've installed the correct radio delete plate. The auxiliary gauges are from a 1958 Dodge Custom Royal and work very well. My tach is a Direct Connection tach P/N 3514430. I have a few extra instrument clusters so if required I can go back to stock. (I have to send one out for replating etc.) I believe the speaker screens are being reproduced but I'm not sure as yet by who. I did this simply because I do not like the Tachs and any auxiliary gauges hanging off the dash and all that. The tach is also right in front which helps when shifting. (I built a reverse pattern manual shift Torque Flite) .

View attachment 1481934

View attachment 1481935

View attachment 1481936
I like the idea of having it in the gauge cluster, as I have the clock blank there. Pulling the speaker grill is an option, but I really like the stock dash look. If racing was my cars design, I wouldn't hesitate on that. I wish I would have thought of it during the build, and with everything together, and trying to end this 7+ year project, I can't justify pulling it apart now. My time is getting short...
16871874794398656335932525663890.jpg

Well, I couldn't come up with anything else, so it went on the dash shroud. Took the day to locate drill, tap, mount, in & out about 3 times, tweaking, etc...
0630231816.jpg
0701231758a.jpg
0701231758b.jpg

Looks great in that position. Your ride is a great work of art.

I finished the wiring today, not quite what I wanted, but I didn't want to cut into taped harnesses. I can dim the gauges with the dash light switch...

0703231402b.jpg

I guess that ends this thread. Thanks to All that had some Input, makes things go better, when you have some Backup !

Enjoy the ride. Job well done enjoy

Auto Transport Service
Back