• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tachometer adapter

popslavaz

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:06 AM
Reaction score
When installing a oem style '71 vintage in rallye dash tachometer.Is the Mallory 29074 adapter a good choice.I do have electronic ignition.
Thanks POPS

I'm not positive about a '71 tach, but I think you won't need an adapter, even with electronic ignition. I've read that MSD ignitions may need an adapter....but I'm running a MSD-6A and my dealer hood tach works just fine without an adapter. When I tried to hook up my factory tick-tock-tach it wouldn't work, but I have no idea if the tach is good or not. Why not just hook it up an see?

71 Oem tach will not work with electronic ignition.
I'm not sure what the fix is for it.

from what i found from poking around
the tach will work,but not with any accuracy
the only apparent fix is to get a repo tach that is set up to work with all ignitions.

My OEM tach was working fine after I installed an MSD distributor. Then suddenly a few weeks ago it just stopped working. At least on my car it was also working accurately. Not sure why it stopped - but also not sure that yours won't work with your set up. Mine did.....

My OEM tach was working fine after I installed an MSD distributor. Then suddenly a few weeks ago it just stopped working. At least on my car it was also working accurately. Not sure why it stopped - but also not sure that yours won't work with your set up. Mine did.....

I have a 68 GTX 440 by the way.

is the tach being driven by the coil or the msd box?
some after market electronic ignitions might work
that is where the some of the confusion lies
for factory electronic it will work,but it won't be accurate.
you have to ask the manufacturer what works or not
some might add a doggle switch or adaptor as was asked here.
but for a factory electronic ignition set up you need the tach to be
upgraded to modern electronics which will set you back about 3 beans..
so to answer the op,
it depends on what ignition you are running..

I don't have a MSD box. Mine is a Ready to Run and doesn't need the box.

I am using both factory and after market tacks in the 68 RT. They both respond the same regardless if using standard points or factory electronics.
What was supposed to be special about the 72 factory tack with electronic ignition? That would have been the first year offered.

Auto Transport Service
Back