• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tachometer sending unit?

Terry Kitzman

Local time
12:13 PM
Reaction score
Does any one know if the same sending unit is used on both the console Tach. and instrument cluster tach? on a 66 charger?

email rt-eng.com
They are the tach upgrade experts

Does any one know if the same sending unit is used on both the console Tach. and instrument cluster tach? on a 66 charger?
The same board is used for the tach sending unit on 66 Charger and other Mopars that use a console tach ( same sending unit) from 64-66. From 67 on the board became integral to the tach itself.

Leads me to question the console tach
They had clocks on the console
I have never seen a 66 charger with both
The factory wouldn't put 2 tachs in a car
Who would pay for the second optional tach when they already had one in the dash

The console tach was not available in the first gen Charger. 66/67 Coronets had them as an option.

Could you clarify if the dash panel tach uses the "board" mentioned above? My tach is dead but the dash works great including the lighting. Is there an easy fix?

If yours is a 66, the tach sending unit mounts to the forward dash frame under the glovebox. Most likely the board went bad. I install the new RTE solid state tach boards. The old ones were 1950’s technology….and the fix is a new tach board. It has to be calibrated to your tach to read correctly.

Could you clarify if the dash panel tach uses the "board" mentioned above? My tach is dead but the dash works great including the lighting. Is there an easy fix?

I use the rte tach board in a 66
it replaced the board inside the "can"
It works great
if you have the 67 Tach you will need th board that goes inside the Tach
RTE makes both
I have used several of their products and all work very well

if you are repairing your dash look at their voltage limiter as well
The one you have now is on borrowed time

https://www.rt-eng.com/

If yours is a 66, the tach sending unit mounts to the forward dash frame under the glovebox. Most likely the board went bad. I install the new RTE solid state tach boards. The old ones were 1950’s technology….and the fix is a new tach board. It has to be calibrated to your tach to read correctly.
Thanks for the info, removed the glove box today and there is nothing that resembles the sardine can. I've been back there before because I updated my headlight relays about 5 years ago. Next I'll trace wiring from the tach.
20220120_152946.jpg

I use the rte tach board in a 66
it replaced the board inside the "can"
It works great
if you have the 67 Tach you will need th board that goes inside the Tach
RTE makes both
I have used several of their products and all work very well

if you are repairing your dash look at their voltage limiter as well
The one you have now is on borrowed time

https://www.rt-eng.com/
Thanks for the tip. I will check on the voltage limiter.

If you decide to use the new RTE voltage limiter, you have to disable the points inside your fuel gauge or the limiter will not function.

Thanks,

Mark

Got it. New and old doesn't always mix well. Thx Still looking for a can for the sending unit if anyone has one.

I have seen the tach sender cans show up on E Bay once in a while.

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep my eyes open.

Thanks to Mark (The Guage Doc) and Greg (RT-Eng) I have a working tach again.

Auto Transport Service
Back