• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tail Light Bulb

FlagCraig

Local time
9:02 AM
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a bright tail light bulbs?

I just replaced mine on 62 Polara and they seem dim when I brake.

The replacements were 12V.

Thanks.

The standard bulb is an 1157. A brighter bulb is the 2357 but it doesn't last near as long. Make sure that the socket and terminals are clean and brighten with a little steel wool or fine sandpaper if necessary. A little dielectric grease on the bulb base helps as well.

The standard bulb is an 1157. A brighter bulb is the 2357 but it doesn't last near as long. Make sure that the socket and terminals are clean and brighten with a little steel wool or fine sandpaper if necessary. A little dielectric grease on the bulb base helps as well.
What is a little brighter single element bulb?

Have you considered trying some of the LED bulb replacements that are out there. If you search there are a couple threads on the forum about them.

Where to buy LED lighting? O'Reilly autozone advanced auto napa? Ebay?

Okay, I went to change out the incandescent bulbs in my R/T (already upgraded my Super Bee) to LED and as I was checking the turn signals I notice smoke coming out of my steering wheel. Now, I have no rear turn signals and I assume no tail lights. I thought the LED lights were a simple swap without any electrical work as it appears that I fried my dash now.

Yep, brake light circuit goes thru the turn signal switch.Sounds like it fried....I wonder what was the cause. ??

I have two threads about this in error. I was checking the oil in my car and hit the dip stick against the battery terminal (closest to the firewall - positive?) and it sparked. The keys were not in the ignition so I thought it was strange and realized maybe the battery is not grounded.

I have two threads about this in error. I was checking the oil in my car and hit the dip stick against the battery terminal (closest to the firewall - positive?) and it sparked. The keys were not in the ignition so I thought it was strange and realized maybe the battery is not grounded.
Key doesnt matter. Hit a live positive with anything grounded and you get sparks a flying. That big lug on the starter relay is always live. Now if the ground cable had been disconnected then you would have no sparking as the circuit you created is incomplete. Electricity is always looking to complete the circuit. And when it does work is gonna happen. Starting the car or melting the wires,electricity doesnt discriminate.

The dipstick short shouldn't have caused any damage since that was a direct short from the battery to engine.
I have noticed that the LED bulbs that replace an 1157 are only brighter if you look perfectly straight into the bulb. If you move around, you may find that from many angles the lights are very dim or not even visible. LED elements are very direct and don't reflect well in certain tailight housings. Don't use red LED behind a red lense, that won't work very well.

Auto Transport Service
Back