• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tailshaft Bushing help

pearljam724

Local time
2:37 PM
Reaction score
I’m preparing to freshen up my 904 transmission. Is the tailshaft bushing easily removable/easily installed once the tailshaft housing and seal is removed ? I understand it might be packed in there tight. Has anyone ever done this without a special tailshaft bushing tool ?
If so, how and what did you use ? I was think of heating the case or hoping to find a washer the same size to drive it in. But, probably won’t be able to find one the perfect size.

Posted this on your cross member thread. Buy this and you don't have to remove tailshaft. The puller won't work if tailshaft is removed.
https://www.ebay.com/i/254104262633...MImsnWipq05gIVCY_ICh14RQqzEAQYASABEgJxnvD_BwE
Thank you, bud. I’m trying to avoid an $80 tool I will use once. The housing is coming off for different reasons. I want to look at governor, bearing, etc. Plus, I’m fixing a few problematic leak locations. So, I’m tearing it all apart. I understand removing the housing makes removing the bushing a lot easier. I just didn’t know how much persuasion it takes to pop it out. Once the housing is removed.

It’s in there pretty tight, a rudimentary home made tool may not work well. You can’t deform the end you are beating on or the slip yoke won’t slip it will bind.

Do you really need a new bushing, they do last a LONG time.

Take the loose housing to a local trans shop for the R&R of that bushing would be the best idea.

You really need a well made tool to get the bushing out and install the new one correctly.
They are easy to make out of scrap metal if you can use a lathe.
Using a press makes the job easy.

There are times when an ill-equipped shop simply can't do the job. Take it to a shop with a press.

Just take it to a transmission shop and have them remove the old one and install the new one.

If you take it a trans place wonder what the cost is, $50 my guess? Mine made a pretty good pop to break it loose, using the tool. Another member using the tool said it slipped out no problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back