• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Talking about NSS. 2 Questions

Darter6

Local time
11:21 PM
Reaction score
I have been looking on line about the NSS classes and rules.Is it me or do classes and rules change by location ? They seem to be all over the place.I ran NSS/E back in 2006 and it was a 12.00 class.That was in St.Louis. Now I read NSS/E is 10.00.

My travel will be limited to the west now. Being out of racing for 12 years, are there many races in the western states ? Many thanks in advance !

The NMCA went to .25 second split on the indexes. Everything behind A-10.0 changed. Now B-10.25, C-10.50, D 10.75 and so on. Victory N/SS runs St Louis, Cordova Ill. There's SHRA in Texas. NMCA Memphis, Chicago, Indianapolis. That's as far West as I know about.
Doug

The 'hot rod reunion or the hot rod heritage races',
done by NHRA
2 Famoso/Bakersfield Ca.
2 up in Sacramento Ca.
2 Firebird in Idaho,
Wild Horse Pass/Chandler Az.
Rocky Mt. Raceway

some races at Las Vegas MS, (not affiliated with the series)
I think there's a couple races in Redding Ca.
not sure if they are NSS specific

different rules, than other NSS or Nostalgia racing groups
A-B-C-D/Gas & Hot rod for door cars, some altered's etc.
don't remember the ET/class breakdowns

those are about the only ones I hear about
but I don't keep up with NSS much

or just run ET or Super Pro at your local track
not NSS specific, there's always test & tune days too

I race with the AFX/Nostalgia West group based mainly out of San Diego, CA area.
I run with them twice a year. Once at the Muscle Cars at The Strip in Las Vegas (used to be called Mopars at the Strip) in the spring and then I race with them at the California Hot Rod ReUnion at Famoso, CA (Bakersfield).
They have rules similar to NSS, etc. Car has to be similar to Super Stockers of the 60' era. You have to have a period correct hood scoop and Graphics (name) on the side of your car, like they did in the 60's.
They run on 1/4 second intervals starting at 8.75 thru 11.75. If you cant run at least 11.75 then you still have to run on the 11.75 index.
They use the .400 Pro Tree.
I went to the Semi round in both of the last 2 races...Vegas and Famoso.
I dialed at 10.50 in Vegas (all cars were slower in Vegas because of altitude and air) and 10.25 at Famoso.
I ran 10.51 to 10.52 all day in Vegas and then caught a tailwind in the Semi and went 10.45 and 4 mile an hour faster because of it and broke out.
I broke in in the Semi at Famoso. I went 10.248 on my 10.25 Index.
Great bunch of guys and good racing.
They run a lot at a drag strip east of San Diego called "Barona".

Thanks Guys, I have been thinking about what I want to do with my 63.Don't really want to have just a bracket car. I really had allot of fun with the NSS class racing similar types of muscle of the 60's.
Mike,Vegas is close to me and the weather changes by the hour. I've learned to watch the big flag on the tower to see just what the heck the wind is doing while in the staging lanes.
Thanks again, gives me plenty to think about.

I personally don't understand the .4 tree for this style car. No way a period looking N/SS car cuts a .4 light. Now maybe with small diameter front tires, trans brake, tight supension it may work. But that defeats the intent. Short tires look out of place, less wheelies, guys guessing on the tree. No problem with the Pro tree. Just that it should be .5 Pro. The other part I never really understood was required lettering. There were plenty of unlettered cars back in the day. It should be personal preference.
Doug

dvw, I understand your logic about no lettering, but back in the 60's I wanted dad to letter his willys but he occasionally left it set at the curb out in front of the house and he said he didn't want passerbys to think it was a racer. That car , which I still own today won 60 class trophies and nobody remembers it. I still have the trophies too.

I personally don't understand the .4 tree for this style car. No way a period looking N/SS car cuts a .4 light. Now maybe with small diameter front tires, trans brake, tight supension it may work. But that defeats the intent. Short tires look out of place, less wheelies, guys guessing on the tree. No problem with the Pro tree. Just that it should be .5 Pro. The other part I never really understood was required lettering. There were plenty of unlettered cars back in the day. It should be personal preference.
Doug
DVW,
Me, and others, have lobbied the rules committee guys about changing the Christmas tree to a full sportsman's tree like we had back in the day....but to no avail...I agree, I DOES NOT MAKE SENSE to have a .400 Pro Tree.'
I put on 24" front tires for the VEGAS race but caught flack for it....didn't help all that much because I have a 3780 pound car with only 11.25 tread width slicks and leaf spring car....no way I am going to get less than a .110 Reaction Time on a .400 Pro Tree...
Lettering is also important to the group and I think, understandably, it is for the spectators....when we roll our 32 cars into the staging lanes as a group at a race, such as the NHRA Hot Rod Reunion, it is kinda like a time wrap...lol.

Auto Transport Service
Back