• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tallhair's Convert - attempt to get going on this mechanical refurb so I can drive it

tallhair

Rufus "Mod-hair" Firefly
Staff member
Local time
1:01 AM
Reaction score
2 years ago I pulled my 68 Coronet R/T Convert out of long term storage and pulled the engine and trans and started doing a little cleaning and buying of needed parts .....

then got stuck with other life things going on and I can't seem to get going. I'm still very busy with other stuff so have it advertised for sale or trade on CL actually .. thinking maybe just trading it and cash for a done car may be the smarter way to go

But that has not worked out so far ....

So I'm starting a thread that I probably should have started 2 or 3 years ago .. maybe I would be done by now had I gotten started properly. I love the car and would be wise to finish it.

So step 1.

Start thread

Check

You know we're going to need to see some pictures... :icon_thumright:

How could anyone think about selling a 68 Coronet R/T convert, I guess it's possible but you would regret it later for sure, I for one would love to see you put it together and enjoy it.

OK I'll post up some handy ones guys

Thanks for the encouragement

68 RT 11 Aug 2013.jpg

100_4397.jpg

View attachment 287293

100_4430.jpg

100_4431.jpg

100_4432.jpg

100_4445.jpg

100_4559.jpg

100_4572.jpg

Great looking car there Tallhair. I can understand your indecision over whether to keep or swap out the car. Either way I know that common sense will prevail, and you will have an awesome example. :headbang:

PS your neighbour across the road has a nice looking lawn. ;)

Thanks Kiwi

I assure you my lawn is much better ... wife cuts it ... I am blessed
headbang.gif

Bryan,
That's a sweet looking ride. You need to get it on the road. If there is anything I can do to help let me know.

With two cats I mean Honduhs in the yard.....er garage.....who cares about the neighbor's yard!? You have the car of the century and talking about getting rid of it!!?? Horse whip you boy with two small horses!!

There's your answer tallhair...crack the whip and get the wife to do the engine while you supervise and to the trans .:eek:ccasion14::eek:ccasion14:

Good luck it's worth it!
Thanks Kiwi

I assure you my lawn is much better ... wife cuts it ... I am blessed
headbang.gif

Yes I love 68 R/Ts and 70 RR's.

I need to finish this project so thanks for the kick in the *** !!!!

- - - Updated - - -

There's your answer tallhair...crack the whip and get the wife to do the engine while you supervise and to the trans .:eek:ccasion14::eek:ccasion14:

Good luck it's worth it!

the fog has cleared !

I have small children too ... hmmm

do it to it, Bry!!

looks like all she needs is a washin and a waxin (well and the motor of course lol) and she's ready to go!!

Good luck it's worth it!

See....only solutions....no problems here. :headbang:

I'm sure that Mrs Tallhair is a keeper....glad to hear that your lawn is in better condition. :hello2:

Hey Tallhair . . . if you were closer I would invite you over to take a look at my 67 Belvedere as a little motivation on building your car ! ! !

By the way, you're always welcome to stop by if you're ever in the area . . .

I'm glad to hear that the "sale" didn't happen and sure hope you'll be much happier in the end when the car is DONE and you're driving it ! ! ! Yooohooooo ! ! ! !

wish you were closer..and i had more time...I would help..
I have admired that R/T conv for a long lime

and a few years younger, when we all would work all night on our ride and then go to work the next day .....and not be tired!...and still satisfy a woman!:naka::icon_pidu:

Bryan,

You have a stunning car - I would not like to see you let it go!

Tell you what: When you get it done we'll meet and put our two cars together and have BOTH of your favorite cars!

Best of luck - we're with you...

Hawk

Bet there's not many of those left around.. And I bet it's worth some bucks.. SWEET! Never sell it..

do it to it, Bry!!

looks like all she needs is a washin and a waxin (well and the motor of course lol) and she's ready to go!!

It looks OK from distance Mario, but it's all one color and kinda shiney so I like it. It does need another wash though like you said. :)

See....only solutions....no problems here. :headbang:

I'm sure that Mrs Tallhair is a keeper....glad to hear that your lawn is in better condition. :hello2:

She's definately a keeper Kiwi. Thanks brother

Hey Tallhair . . . if you were closer I would invite you over to take a look at my 67 Belvedere as a little motivation on building your car ! ! !

By the way, you're always welcome to stop by if you're ever in the area . . .

I'm glad to hear that the "sale" didn't happen and sure hope you'll be much happier in the end when the car is DONE and you're driving it ! ! ! Yooohooooo ! ! ! !

I'm sure you are right and thanks for the invite. Your work is a motivator even if it's in pictures Kahn. Great work and I enjoyed the how too with the truck and the cherry picker. I may use that one for a motor I need need to pick up.

wish you were closer..and i had more time...I would help..
I have admired that R/T conv for a long lime

and a few years younger, when we all would work all night on our ride and then go to work the next day .....and not be tired!...and still satisfy a woman!:naka::icon_pidu:

I hear ya Sonny. I sure miss those days and thanks for the kind words

Bryan,

You have a stunning car - I would not like to see you let it go!

Tell you what: When you get it done we'll meet and put our two cars together and have BOTH of your favorite cars!

Best of luck - we're with you...

Hawk

Thanks Hawk, everytime I look at your car it reminds me of the lime 70 I let go. I should just continue on with this one. Hopefully the FE5 70 RR I do have will look half as nice as yours one day. But thats once I'm done with this one.

Bet there's not many of those left around.. And I bet it's worth some bucks.. SWEET! Never sell it..

Thanks kid! I think there were 431 auto's made for the U.S., as a bonus this one has the motor and transmission it started life with. I don't know how many are left but I almost never see any for sale. They actually made less 69 and 70 R/T converts but I see those for sale more often than a 68.

And thanks again for all the kind words and support guys. I really appreciate it.

I have small children too ... hmmm

They're the biggest reason of all to see it through. I take my kids all over the place in "daddy's racecar". Ice cream, pizza, park, Stewarts (yep, we still have a couple around here!), local cruise nights. Here are a few pics of the boys helping daddy pinpoint an oil leak.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back