• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FOR SALE Tankard of Autofrost (R406A) A/C refrigerant - Seattle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slantsixdan

Local time
2:15 AM
Reaction score
Contact seller
I have a 25-pound tank of R406A (GHG Autofrost, see here), about 70% full—need to weigh it for exact figure. I will make a real nice deal on it, especially for local pickup (Seattle) so we don't have to hassle with hazmat ground shipping. I no longer have a use for it since I sold my last R12 car and traded in my last R12 refrigerator. Unlike the R134a-based R12 substitutes, Autofrost works well in an R12 system (often better/colder than 12), is fully mixable with R12 itself, fully compatible with R12-type oil and system control valve calibrations, and doesn't make a mess of a system that's been run with R12 and hasn't been scrupulously cleaned before charge-up. Unlike the isobutane/isopropane R12 substitutes, Autofrost isn't a fire hazard.

Same fitting on the tank as an R12 tank, so ordinary A/C manifold gauges work easily.

To be perfectly clear and fully upfront: R406A is legal in the US as a replacement for R12 if the special R406A fittings are installed over the original R12 service fittings. You're not supposed to just charge it through the R12 service fittings, though the only thing stopping you is the regulation saying you're not supposed to. And a professional A/C shop might decline to do refrigerant-related work on a system that is charged with anything other than R12 or R134a. I never found that to be a problem, because I did my own refrigerant-related work once the systems were put together properly, and didn't have need to futz with them after the initial charge-up.

Send me a PM; let's make a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back