• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tapered tip bolt source?!

68 Sport Satellite

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:55 AM
Reaction score
Anyone have a recommendation on a good source for tapered tip bolts? Our cars are full of them and trying to find replacements is a real headache. McMaster doesn't have then, none of the auto stores seem to stock them here and OSH and Home Depot look confused when I show them. Some specialty bolt and screw jobs in town closed years ago. Any leads are appreciated! image.jpg

I've been getting mine though OReillys Auto parts if you have one of those. They are in a brand called Disco. Just ordered 2 bags of the 5/16" a few days ago.Also have the frame nuts they screw into as well.
Hope this helps.

Thanks to all! I'll check these out. O'reilly's here has not had this type of fastener. I've had good luck with R/T Specialties in the past - didn't know they carried all of those bolts too. Don't see what I need on their website yet...

For now, I'm going to check with a local Fastenal. I found one 5 miles away.
One i need is 1 of the 4 for the rear bumper to mount to the car and the other is a 1/4-20 that I actually need to be an 1/8" longer minimum than the original 5/16" long. For that one we added a rad support welded in from U.S. Cartool and now the original bolt is not long enough to engage.

I'll let you know when I find these.
Thanks again!

Your nearest grinder.....if your in a pinch.

A good auto paint supply store would carry that stuff they also have a lot of different molding clips .

there was a place called "The Screw Shop" in Concord Calif.
IIRC you could Google it
They would carry any size & types of specialty screws, washers, nuts, bolts, studs, titanium, stainless, moly, zinc coated, black hardened, in grade 3 to grade 12, dzus fasteners & various tabs etc., 4 pt., 6pt. - 12 pt., undersized or safety wire drilled heads &/or most any fastener related automotive or aircraft rated hardware & if they didn't have it, they would get it for you too, very reasonable priced, it's been years since I was there, but they were the best....

might be worth a trip, to the east-bay, if you need a bunch of stuff,
they may have a mil order service or website now too, I didn't see one...

Fastenal is a great source too

good luck

I'll say this one more time...

These bolts and fasteners are the same all the way into the 1990's
Even on FWD and trucks

If you go to a u pull it type of yard you can get a coffee can full of them for about five bucks

And they are Mopar bolts

Anyone have a recommendation on a good source for tapered tip bolts? Our cars are full of them and trying to find replacements is a real headache. McMaster doesn't have then, none of the auto stores seem to stock them here and OSH and Home Depot look confused when I show them. Some specialty bolt and screw jobs in town closed years ago. Any leads are appreciated! View attachment 238782
came across this bolt image web surfing, i realize its over 10 yeas old, for anyone that's still interested in these type bolts they're called DOG POINT with a bit of searching you can find them without the big fender washers on them

Auto Transport Service
Back