• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tech Tip: Throttle Cable length adjustment

idrivemopar

Local time
6:17 AM
Reaction score
I just thought I would mention this and some of you most likely know this but I am sure there are others like me, where it may not be apparent, until I had a "duh" moment.

So, if you are using the stock throttle cable, it mounts to a bracket on the intake manifold and there is a sleeve with a lip around the cable housing that attaches to the throttle cable bracket, and it can only go so far forward. So, if you have everything setup correctly under the hood and you still have issues with the cable not reaching the throttle linkage on your car, in this case my thermoquad, you can make an adjustment on the accelerator pedal to make it shorter or longer.

There is a stop tab, behind the pedal on the accelerator pedal mounting bracket and bending this tab left or right will lengthen or shorten the cable length without having to adjust the cable sleeve or bracket on the manifold. When you bend it to the left, it rises and allows the pedal to travel further forward, when bending it to the right it lowers shortening the pedal travel.
Here is a diagram.
20160915_152326a.jpg

If this helps one person, I've done my job!
Cheers

Thanks, I am currently battling this issue on my 70 RR. I have too much slack on my accelerator pedal. When I flor it the carb does not open all the way. I ordered the correct brackets for my holly carb but seems like the cable is still too long and the pedal seems like it sits too low. Does not sit high enough to fully open the carb throttle when Flores. Kind of hard to explain. Back to the drawing board.

I just ran into the same problem putting a TQ on a '70 440 using the stock bracket.
I actually slid the sleeve up under the locking cap just to make it work but wasn't to crazy about that set up plus it caused the cable to rub on the vertical kick down rod.
Now it's perfect..... Thnx...!!!

Great tip. I’ve been having issues with mine as well. I never knew about this. Thank you! Mike

I'm running into a cable length issue going from a tall intake to a stock intake. I have to really bury the pedal to accelerate hard and I'm certain I'm still at incomplete throttle. Bending right removes slack but just puts the roller lower on the actual pedal right? I still need a new cable I think.

I'm running into a cable length issue going from a tall intake to a stock intake.

Not sure if this can help ya'. I use a cruise bracket to relocate my cable housing further back to take up slack on my '69 Barracuda.
upload_2022-5-21_10-16-3.png

upload_2022-5-21_10-20-20.png

I just thought I would mention this and some of you most likely know this but I am sure there are others like me, where it may not be apparent, until I had a "duh" moment.

So, if you are using the stock throttle cable, it mounts to a bracket on the intake manifold and there is a sleeve with a lip around the cable housing that attaches to the throttle cable bracket, and it can only go so far forward. So, if you have everything setup correctly under the hood and you still have issues with the cable not reaching the throttle linkage on your car, in this case my thermoquad, you can make an adjustment on the accelerator pedal to make it shorter or longer.

There is a stop tab, behind the pedal on the accelerator pedal mounting bracket and bending this tab left or right will lengthen or shorten the cable length without having to adjust the cable sleeve or bracket on the manifold. When you bend it to the left, it rises and allows the pedal to travel further forward, when bending it to the right it lowers shortening the pedal travel.
Here is a diagram.
View attachment 360996

Cheers
This will help a hundred ppl. Thanks. Kim

I just bought a cable from Mancini. I will keep this tip in mind when installing. Thanks!

Here is a diagram.
View attachment 360996

Cheers
What year and model car do you have? Just asking because none of my 69 or 70 models have that bracket.

Auto Transport Service
Back