• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Teens Love Old Rock Band T-Shirts. Just Don’t Ask Them to Name a Song

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:23 AM
Reaction score

Rolling Stones and Iron Maiden T-shirts are in fashion among younger generations, even if they’ve never heard the music​

Like many 17-year-old high-school students today, Sarah Jenkins doesn’t listen to the Rolling Stones. Her closet tells a different story.

In seventh grade, Ms. Jenkins decided to buy the shirt that everyone was wearing, she said—a crop top with the Rolling Stones’ signature logo of red lips with a tongue sticking out. The next morning, she came downstairs sporting her new T-shirt. For Ms. Jenkins, in Highlands Ranch, Colo., the shirt was just a hot new style trend. For her father, 50-year-old Scott Jenkins, it was a flashback to junior high.

?width=140&height=157.jpg
Fashion satisfaction

“Hey, that was my music back when I was your age,” Mr. Jenkins told his daughter. “Do you even know that music?” In jest, he asked her to name a couple of Rolling Stones songs.

“Obviously, I couldn’t tell him any as I’ve never listened to the band before,” said Ms. Jenkins. She still wears it regularly, along with a more recently acquired Metallica T-shirt, which is “even more of my generation,” said her father. Ms. Jenkins can’t name a song from Metallica, either.

What is now a running joke in the Jenkins family has become a broader trend in the cyclical world of fashion, with boys and girls of younger generations wearing old rock band T-shirts despite having never listened to the music.

?width=700&height=467.jpg

Scott Jenkins and his daughter, Sarah Jenkins.

Jacob Gillick, a 28-year-old teacher in St. Louis, Mo., who described himself as a “teenage metal-head growing up,” said that during the last school year, he would see five to six middle-school students a day wearing a T-shirt of a rock band he recognized from his own adolescence.
“It’s a huge letdown when you realize they don’t actually listen to it,” he said.

Major fashion retailers like PacSun and Urban Outfitters offer products like Nirvana tees and The Who pullovers. In a survey last year by online retail company RushOrderTees, the top nine music T-shirts owned by respondents were all artists from the 1990s or earlier, with AC/DC taking the top spot. (Ariana Grande came in at No. 10.)

Some attribute the surging demand to social media, which can expedite aesthetic trends without bringing the music fandom along.

Rockabilia, an online seller of rock music merchandise, had a supply of 300 T-shirts for Static-X, a heavy metal band that formed in the ’90s, sitting around for years. Suddenly, all the shirts sold out in less than 24 hours. Messages filled Rockabilia’s email inbox and phone lines, seemingly from young teenagers, asking when it would restock the Static-X shirts.

“We were kind of curious so we asked, ‘Are you a fan of the band?’ And they had no idea what it even was,” said Frankie Blydenburgh, a co-owner of Rockabilia. He and his team later discovered that a TikTok in which someone who happened to be wearing a Static-X shirt had gone viral.

?width=639&height=810.jpg
Static-X bassist Tony Campos performing in 2006.PHOTO: ETHAN MILLER/GETTY IMAGES

Tony Campos, the bassist for Static-X, doesn’t mind if people wear the band’s shirts without listening to the music. “I used to be more of a purist,” said Mr. Campos. “But to me, that’s just closed-mindedness.…A big part of bands’ income these days is merchandise sales. So the more you can get out there, the more you’re going to be able to make a living.”

Brian Ebejer, who goes by the stage name Edsel Dope and is the lead singer of the heavy metal band Dope, formed in 1997, echoed the sentiment. “Honestly, I’d rather a kid buy my merchandise than listen to my music, because I make more money from a shirt than him listening to my music for free on Spotify,” he said.

Some rock-band-shirt-wearing teenagers are actually fans of the music. Ben England, 18, and Luka Owen, 19, became best friends over a mutual love of rock music. They are also friends with Ms. Jenkins, and they noticed all the merchandise worn by their fellow students.

“Whether it is Rolling Stones, Nirvana, Led Zeppelin, or Sublime, it seems like you can’t go a day at school without seeing one of these shirts,” they wrote for their student newspaper last March.

With band shirts now a purely aesthetic choice, they have found themselves misidentified as nonfans. Mr. Owen recalled wearing one of his Led Zeppelin shirts while out shopping. At the counter, the cashier asked if he could name five Led Zeppelin songs.

He certainly could. “I own every album that they’ve ever produced,” Mr. Owen said. The cashier gave him his items for free after finding out he was actually a fan.

?width=700&height=700.jpg

A Ramones shirt from Urban Outfitters.PHOTO: CHRISTIAN VIERIG/GETTY IMAGES

Merchandise for Cannibal Corpse, a death metal band from the ’90s, found new popularity after Kourtney Kardashian Barker was pictured last year wearing the band’s shirt, borrowed from her husband, Blink-182 drummer Travis Barker.

After her fashion choice received backlash from Cannibal Corpse fans, Mr. Barker publicly jumped to her defense. Even though she isn’t a hard-core fan, he said, why not allow her to celebrate the music? The couple didn’t respond to a request for comment.

“Since then, it’s become a fashion statement. Now Cannibal Corpse merch is more popular than ever before,” said Rockabilia’s Mr. Blydenburgh.

Teens Love Old Rock Band T-Shirts. Just Don’t Ask Them to Name a Song.

Yeah, last weekend I noticed my 19 year old son was wearing a Van Halen shirt. Cool, I thought, he is listening to some decent music now. Then I asked him if he liked the bands sound better with David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar as their lead singer. His response? Who are they? :BangHead:

Geritol gangs (Stones) Tees

kid, she has a tad bit of taste, fashion
we don't know about her music

probably boom boom cRapp, like most of them

When my kids were in their early teens there would be a song that they were playing and I would sing along. The looks on their faces was priceless. The song would be a remastered one from back in the day and they thought it had just came out. I'd find the original in my collection and play it for them.

Now not all of our original songs were original either. A little research would show that the song was from the fifties or even earlier.

Yeah, last weekend I noticed my 19 year old son was wearing a Van Halen shirt. Cool, I thought, he is listening to some decent music now. Then I asked him if he liked the bands sound better with David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar as their lead singer. His response? Who are they? :BangHead:
That’s a tough question imo, can I like both?

The original question was;
Van Halen??
Or Van Hagar...

The original question was;
Van Halen??
Or Van Hagar...
Both! For me it is about the guitar, music. Certain days I’ll listen to Dave and others it’ll be Sammy. They made great music with both at the helm!

Found this the other day.. Roth lives.. New take on Ain’t talking bout love.
different reflections in his voice but guitar pretty good.. not Ed but good job

Nobody ever mentions Van Halens' third singer - Gary Cherone.
Unfortunately there’s a reason for that! Guy was good in Extreme but just wasn’t a good fit for VH

Roth and Hagar both have their strong points, I just wish they could get along and put on a VH show with both showing up, that would be kick-***!! I saw Sammy (The Circle with Vic Johnson, Michael Anthony, Jason Bonham) a couple years ago he can still put on a hell of a show!

A dozen or more old school band "brand" shirts available at Kohl's right now.

Right under the "Rick and Morty" shirts.

About half that many at wal-mart.

Certain "real" ones are worth 4 figures.

I have an original 1982 "Number Of The Beast".

That's one of the highest valued ones out there.

.....and I think this all actually started with Susana Hoffs (hottie from the Bangles) wearing that Motorhead shirt back in 1987.

That whole Susana Hoffs thing (don't get me wrong, I like her), caused me to be very skeptical of girls wearing metal T shirts.

I had to start really grilling them to find out if they were actually metal heads or just wanna be copy cat fashion plates.

I did find a couple but pickins were slim.

Wife is more of a "nu metal" fan but I can live with that.

I go to her Disturbed and Five Finger Death Punch shows and she goes to my Avenged Sevenfold and Judas Priest shows.

...and we both do classic rock and classic hard rock as well as some more "out there" stuff like Cake.

Roth and Hagar both have their strong points, I just wish they could get along and put on a VH show with both showing up, that would be kick-***!! I saw Sammy (The Circle with Vic Johnson, Michael Anthony, Jason Bonham) a couple years ago he can still put on a hell of a show!
Their 'Sam & Dave' tour of 2002 went down well with fans, they sang mostly VH songs. But despite onstage smiles and jokes, rumours say that they didn't mesh well off-stage.

I worn my q102 shirt yesterday at work, so many people “you’re too young to know that.” I never got the privilege to listen to Bo and Jim on q102, but I listen to them on their newer home Lone Star 92.5, and q102 is cooler. Any Dallas area people that even know who I’m talking about? :lol:

A1807432-9E85-43E9-B1A1-771B7EFBB849.jpeg

So, in 85 Sammy joined Van Halen.. They brought out the 5150 album.... But he still had a contract for one more Sammy Hagar album so he held a contest to name the new album...

The winner was "I Never Said Goodbye".
One of the runners up & the one I thought was great "In Halen, Ex Halen"

So, in 85 Sammy joined Van Halen.. They brought out the 5150 album.... But he still had a contract for one more Sammy Hagar album so he held a contest to name the new album...

The winner was "Never Say Goodbye".
One of the runners up & the one I thought was great "In Halen, Ex Halen"
Yep, that was when Sammy had a real good back up band.

Auto Transport Service
Back