• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Teflon coating, any good alternatives for carburator parts?

idrivemopar

Local time
9:52 AM
Reaction score
Original Thermoquad throttle valve shafts were Teflon coated(the green stuff), however, most I have seen are very worn and in some cases almost completely gone.

Does anyone know if they can be recoated and if anyone provides this service?
Is there an alternative coating that would work well, is chemical and heat resistant and can be done at home?

Looked into that, doesn't look like its readily available, however, I think I found an alternative, I am going to give Cerakote a try, it goes on thin, its wear and chemical resistant. Plus, I can use it to coat all the linkages as well, and who knows, may do the entire carb! My guy that does powder coating showed me some fire arms with it applied, and wow, pretty cool stuff!!!!

Please keep us updated. Remember the polycarbanate fuel bowl when coating items.

Only metal parts will get coated, and its so thin, around 1 mil, so shouldn't interfere with the function of things.

Yeah, probably wont be able to apply it as well as my coater does, plus he can bake it real nice. Only question now is, if I end up doing the body and linkages should I do it in silver or black? Never seen a black thermoquad before, so not sure how that would look!

Graphite black and stainless,
final_pi_17.jpg
final_pi_196.jpg

Stainless would look closer to aluminum. Black would absorb heat and may not be a good thing with today's fuel unless you have and use non-ethanol.

Good point, the thermal emissivity of the stainless is lower than the black so it will absorb less.

It needs to absorb heat before it needs to get rid of it
I would go stainless

I talked to the technical guys their stainless coating is actually less efficient at dissipating heat then the graphite black because of how its engineered so even though its not a reflective coating its better at not retaining heat and its actually very close in specification to the phenolic resin center section. I know it doesn't logically make sense for a black coating to behave in this way.

No matter what anyone says, there is no substitute in a can for the original coating - it was baked on like the glaze on a piece of pottery. If you want green shafts you may as well buy paint because it will last about the same amount of time and cost you 1/4 the price. The original process was done like metallising and then baked at a very high temperature to attain a certain level of hardness. I think the real problem you have is air bleeding past the shafts and diluting the vacuum at the idle needles which results in crummy idle. As the throttle plates open vacuum loss is not an issue as you switch from the idle circuit to the run circuits in the carb. The best alternative would be to have a machine shop bush the throttle shaft holes in the base plate of the carb, machine recesses for Buna o-rings or mini seals or leave it as is. Let's face it, when somethings worn out, it's worn out and if you mic the shaft and it's bore you notice the wear is all on one side and there elongation present. Any coating put on the shafts improperly will wear off and we all know exactly where it ends up.

I get the whole bush the shafts concept, and have a set of bushings ready if needed, that's not what this thread was about, its about how to recoat shafts irregardless of need for bushings.

The unique formulation used for Cerakote ceramic coating enhances a number of physical performance properties including abrasion/wear resistance, corrosion resistance, chemical resistance, impact strength, and hardness.

The Teflon was coming off due to corrosion that started outside of where they ride, so better to just strip and recoat and this process is available. The cerakote has good properties and is baked on. The application thickness is about the same, around 1 mil. I am coating the rest of the carb and linkages to prevent corrosion and it should look good too! Its interesting that the manufacturer mentioned that he already has a carburetor company testing this product, so I know there is some interest in it.

So I got my carb and parts back today from getting coated, really impressed with it, its gonna look awesome! Anyway, here are the throttle rods coated.
20160325_155558.jpg

here is a close up to better show how thin the coating is.
20160325_155748.jpg

Its definitely tough stuff, trying to clean a part I didn't want coated and using a dremel wire wheel, it just polished it!

I will post up some shots once I get the thing reassembled!

Auto Transport Service
Back