• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tempature Control Slide Adjustment - '69 Charger w/AC

Brian DePouli

Local time
5:24 PM
Reaction score
I have a question about best practices for the temperature control slider. I feel like I may not have it properly adjusted and thus even with the temp button pulled all the way out (toward rear of car) I'm still getting some heat in the car. Maybe that is normal which is my first question. I do seem to remember heat blowing on my feet in the summer in high school and college, but that doesn't mean that it was right then either. My next question is which direction I should be spinning the adjustment thing in the line to ensure it makes the lever close on the firewall valve which controllers the heat? I do have the line secured up at the slider control to allow for maximum adjustment via the temp control knob slider and I believe also at the valve lever, but I need to recheck. Any guidance and experience on this matter would be appreciated, thanks.

Hey Brian, I'm in the process right now of putting my entire ac/heat system back into the car after restoring it all. I just installed the control assy. 2 days ago and adjusted the cable. You said the temp slide is all the way towards the rear but is it as far back as the other slides. If not than the adjustment will help you get as far back as the others when they are all pulled to the rear. If the Temp is not as far back as the others you'll have to lower the assembly, loosen that tiny screw that holds the tubing in place and turn the turnbuckle counter clockwise as you are looking at it. I have my radio out of the dashboard so it's easier to reach it. Now, if the temp lever is all the way back as far as the others you may have water getting passed the control valve in the engine bay. I had to adjust the turnbuckle a few times to get it right. After adjusting, tighten the tiny screw and put assy. back in place to see if lever came all the way back as the other levers. Hope this helps.

Brian, I just noticed you posted this LAST Jan. and nobody replied to you. I'm sure you probably figured it out by now. Ray

the water control valve is and has been a problem on 68-69 chargers and coronets. In 1985 While living in Phoenix the only way I could get cold air in my 68 charger was to Install a manually operated control valve in the heater hose line on the passenger side of the engine under the hood, going to the valve. in the summer, I turned it 90 degrees. and in the winter, I opened it. I got 40-45 degree air from the A/C all the time after that.

I had to do the same to my 69 Coronet, and believe it or not, on my 77 Cordoba.
the system was used for a long time.

Hey Brian, I'm in the process right now of putting my entire ac/heat system back into the car after restoring it all. I just installed the control assy. 2 days ago and adjusted the cable. You said the temp slide is all the way towards the rear but is it as far back as the other slides. If not than the adjustment will help you get as far back as the others when they are all pulled to the rear. If the Temp is not as far back as the others you'll have to lower the assembly, loosen that tiny screw that holds the tubing in place and turn the turnbuckle counter clockwise as you are looking at it. I have my radio out of the dashboard so it's easier to reach it. Now, if the temp lever is all the way back as far as the others you may have water getting passed the control valve in the engine bay. I had to adjust the turnbuckle a few times to get it right. After adjusting, tighten the tiny screw and put assy. back in place to see if lever came all the way back as the other levers. Hope this helps.

I don't check the site often anymore, but came back today for an unrelated reason and saw the response. I put a shut-valve in the heater hose and called it a day. I do appreciate the response. I might take another stab at it someday.

Auto Transport Service
Back