• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Temperature Control Cable needed

firstgencharger

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:50 AM
Reaction score
I have a 1967 charger and am looking for the temp control cable that runs from the control lever in the dash to the temp control valve under the hood. I've checked with junkyards: is this a rare animal?

100_6596.jpg100_6597.jpgI am not sure if the 67 cable is the same as 68 but I know the heater box is the same. I have one from a 68 with AC It measures 32.5 inches end to end.
Here are a couple pics of it. It slides nice and smooth. If it will work for you, I'll ship it to you for $20.00

Ac is different 66-67 box... it's all under the dash. I would ? I would make up a cable.... only you would know it's not original.... My 67 ac car is getting a valve under the hood with a cable from a truck..... the dual heater core a/c box is a complicated system where the heater core opens to heat the air before it cools it to make it dryer..... I have a switch in the glove box for the gizmo... it was junk so if you can separate the ac and heat controls you are better off....
My system works but other than the heater valve up grade it's getting classic auto air for $1400 or nothing....

View attachment 205638View attachment 205639I am not sure if the 67 cable is the same as 68 but I know the heater box is the same. I have one from a 68 with AC It measures 32.5 inches end to end.
Here are a couple pics of it. It slides nice and smooth. If it will work for you, I'll ship it to you for $20.00

The 66-67 heater box is a little different animal than the 68-70 deal from what I remember. If the OP can measure the cable I should have a few hiding upstairs.

Sorry, got to open my big mouth! It doesn't matter if it a 66 or 67 box. The heater valve for a A/C is on the fire wall! Same for 66 to 69 as for as I know. Yes, the ac boxes are a little different, but I have a 69 charger air box in my 66. I also have a 2nd 66 part car that may have a good cable. Mine looks just like the pixs. posted.

Now that I know what the cable looks like, can I ask for the routing for the cable from under the hood, I don't know how it snakes through the firewall to the heater box?

I do not see a pivot point as to how it would connect the two ends.

Pictures would be greatly appreciated.

cable does not go under the hood...it's from the temp lever in the dash to the valve that's bolted to firewall, never goes through the firewall....a service manual will show this....you will need a manual if you are gonna be working on these cars

I do own a FSM, however it falls quite short of diagrams, explanations or other information that can assist me in figuring this issue out. There is not even a full drawing of the cable I need, it only mentions a cable. As my car came with no cable at all, how do I figure this out.

I did take a butt-load of pictures from the beginning of my project, but none can give me an idea of where it connects to the valve under the hood. Does it go through the firewall?
Perhaps I did not explain this well enough in my other posts.

I may have one, unsure if seized up or not, is from 66 Coronet w air and I do have one from my 66 Charger so I can compare, since my entire heater box is on bench as well as the heater valve I possibly can add a pic of the assembly,actually is quite simple...But for sure it does not look like pictures of the cables shown.

100_6617.jpg100_6618.jpg100_6613.jpgHere are a couple pictures of the heater valve. the cable I sent you a picture of hooks onto the back side of the valve. The end with the adjuster goes to the slide control on the dash for fine tuning the open/close of the valve once you have it hooked up. The adjuster only lenghtens or shortens the outer jacket. You should be able to remove the Heater valve from the firewall and pull it out of the firewall enough to hook the cable up. You may need to replace the valve as it may have been the problem that caused the cable to break and the previous owner to remove it. When you get access to the back of the valve, open and close it to check ease of operation. With the cable being gone, there is a good chance the two cable keepers are missing also. I don't know if I have any extra but could check.

Temp control valve?

100_2241.jpg100_2238.jpg100_2216.jpg

Here are some pics from my engine bay and am not sure what the black valve is for on the one hose. I was informed by the guy that got it running to open or close this valve to control the heat or ac, and it seemed to work. This control is what I do not understand.

I was at a show just lately and noticed a cable attached to this part and it ran across the firewall to the driver side, then through the firewall. I am more than a little confused about this part and what it does.

Thanx for the help so far!!! You gents are quite helpful!

yea..the original temp valve appears to be missing from the firewall. Looks like they added a valve to the heater hose to control water flow...it's not factory or dealer installed.....I'm guessing the original triangle valve leaked and that's why it's gone

I removed the original temp valve from the firewall early on in the teardown of the engine bay. I have looked at it more closely and have determined that it is the almost frozen but it does move some. At least I can control the temperature, but it sure looks like crap under the hood!

Any recommendations?

Unfortunately the 66/67Charger heater control valve are not plentiful and certain after markets are not rebuildable, I got lucky and had a original one in a 66 Coronet, difference was it had a long capillary tube where is my Charger that had aftermarket only had a short coiled tube. Jim Tucker in Ca rebuilt it and it looks great, hopefully functions as well :) I do have an extra cable if u end up going back to original set-up

NAPA has rebuild kits for the OE valves last I heard

Ranco

yes, if a RANCO, believe model H12 ? unsure........If EVERHOT, no though..........But the kit only contains seals etc.,so if "frozen" and can not free it up. Will need another valve. I finally got one to free up in a mixture ATF and penetrating oil.........:) Both cables were exact one from 66 Charger, other 66 Coronet..........Will post pictures and dimensions if u want

Yes Dragrazor, I would definitely be interested in any pictures related to this issue! I've been thinking of cleaning it up with the molasses bath but if that doesn't work I will try the penetrating oil process.

- - - Updated - - -

I would like to pick up the extra cable and a clip or two if you have just in case I do manage to get the valve free.
Please let me know what you may want for it!

CHARGER HEATAC CABLE ETC 003.jpg looks as if may not have been successful uploading the picture of the cable. It is a simple type cable, can buy at nearly any lawn mower shop that are for chokes etc., and cut to length and then curl the wire on each end to attach to the levers etc., measurements are>wire=29", sheath=25.5"X 3/16"it does have a plastic cover that is 20.5" covering the sheath, however since is inside the car, do not feel as necessary. Would sell 10$ + Shipping cost, unknown at this time, but if u do want will find out.....

- - - Updated - - -

CHARGER HEATAC CABLE ETC 001.jpgCHARGER HEATAC CABLE ETC 002.jpg looks as if all did upload, shows how the ends are attached to both controllers LESS the nut&bolt holding the cable sheath clip tight as well as the push nut on the lever after the wire is pushed on, cable and controllers are 66Charger

Auto Transport Service
Back