• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Test & Tune this Friday, Sat & Sunday.

Mike Gaines

Local time
8:28 AM
Reaction score
Can't wait...leaving tomorrow afternoon for Famosa (Auto Club Raceway, Bakersfield) for the Pre-March Meet Test and Tune.
3 Full days of running.

Last year I got in 16 passes.
Plenty of runs to get the best combos sorted out for the big March Meet Race the second weekend in March.
I will be running straight bracket racing at the March Meet. They call that HOT ROD ELIMINATOR. There are 225 cars pre-entered in this class. All of the available spots were filled up by January 15th.
First round of Eliminations will be run on Sat, March 9th.
This will thin out the field to only about 110 cars for Sunday Eliminations. There historically has been 50,000 plus spectators at this race. Biggest race of the year...probably as many spectators as the NHRA WinterNationals at Pomona a couple weeks ago.
The will have a field of 32 Nostalgia Funny Cars. There will be around 50 to 60 there trying to qualify for the 32 car field. They run rules from the 1970's in regards to Blower Size, Fuel Pump Size, Tires, etc. They run in the 5.60 @ 255mph range for the top runners.
They also have a 32 car field of front engine dragsters...same deal as the Funny Car.
In addition they have AA/FA, and Index classes starting at 7.00, 7.60, 8.60, 9.60 and 10.60.
Hope to be dialing in at 10.05 to 10.10 range. If the air is around 500 feet, which it probably will be the I expect to have 1.38 60 foots
It is full .500 Sportsman Tree. No Electronics like Delay Boxes allowed. Trans-Brakes are allowed at I guarantee you that of the 110 cars left in the race for Sunday Elimination that 70% of them will have Trans-Brakes.
I do have a trans-brake.
I will be there setting up in the pits on Tuesday to start making runs on Wed, Thur & Fri in prep for eliminations starting on Saturday. We will 2 hits each day in prep for Sat.
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday at the drags.....like HEAVEN !!!

LAUNCH 5.jpg
The picture above was taken at my last race when 1 of the classes I was running in was called D/GAS which is 10.60 index racing. I had to slow the car down from 10.15 to 10.60 not to break out. I went 3 rounds and then Broke Out.

You are lucky, it was 4 degrees here this morning.
Doug

You lucky bastard! Yes, I would like to live in a warm climate like that.

PLEASE KEEP THE ROOF UP & HAVE FUN! Let us know how you run & any before/after results for any changes you've done to the car over the winter. Good Luck!

Good Luck and keep us posted on how the car runs.

good luck Mike

go give em' hell

God I hated sportsman 0.5 tenths trees...
Redlight city !!!

I'd like to go, to spectate anyway,
I know a lot of the nostalgia guys
I gotta' take it a day at a time right now,
dads still not able to drive

we're still getting snow here

How does one go about getting their car in for testing?

How does one go about getting their car in for testing?
Pass tech (rules vary for your estimated E.T. of course) and have a ball!
(Oh and pay the fee!)
Unless this weekend is only for march-meet competitors, not sure about that..

Last edited:
Best of luck Mike! Afternoon highs in the 50s but no rain in the forecast for a change..

Have fun light that track up.

are you hooking up off the line

kick *** we are all behind you you.

did you change anything else besides the shocks

awesome mike glad to here your doing good. someday i'll make it to see you run.

best yesterday of 10.047 and 10.065 with 1.37 60 foot's . I tightened the shocks up from full loose (zero) to 6. IT WORKED! !!
Imagine that. Seriously, good to see you running well.
Doug

Last edited:
best yesterday of 10.047 and 10.065 with 1.37 60 foot's . I tightened the shocks up from full loose (zero) to 6. IT WORKED! !!
---
We knew that was coming. :) Don't stop at 6. There's more.

Auto Transport Service
Back