• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Testing new wiring specifically wiper switch

mpro69rr

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:38 AM
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Well I have new console and engine wiring, I also did the MAD change this year. Last year before my car went into paint jail I was having problems with the wiper switch shocking me, I figured it was a ground problem so I just hooked up a wire to it and the other end to metal. Well it burned my new harness, never could figure out why. Yesterday I decided to test out the wiper wiring and new 3 speed wiper motor. Guess what? I got shocked again, so I grounded the switch console to the console frame by just leaning it against it (my console is swung down and detached from the upper). The switch worked, took it off the console and got shocked again. Also, the switch when I connected the plug to it didn't have all the connections. It had 2 or 3 spades not connected? I'm sure I used the left plug or it wouldn't have work at all but the plug didn't take up all the spades, the spade on the right and bottom. Is there another plug I am missing that goes on the switch? On the wiring diagram it shows all plugs taking up with wires? Why am I still feeling current when I ground the switch panel to the console frame? Whew, this is long...Sorry! Oh, I have a 69 RR 383.

Last edited:

Are you saying that I may have a two speed setup? The old motor was a three speed, it also had the oval air cleaner which a two speed wouldn't fit. All though I do question the bushing on the arm that comes off the motor, it looks like a two speed bushing? I've seem everything in action and it looks like everything works. Not sure what this has to do with the wiring?
This is what I have for wiring. On the right is two wires, in the middle is a 5 prong wire, ont he left two more wires. My switch has seven spades, wire only has 5 plugs.

Wiper wiring.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my wiper switch plug with the empty spades on the left and bottom. What goes there?

Wiper switch.jpg

Anyone else have any suggestions?

those are for the wiper pump brown and brown with white traces,thats why I posted the thread.

Thanks Davek, The thread you posted did help. I have one brown with a white tracer and three browns? Which one of the three browns goes on the left? Do the other two browns go to the washer button? I wonder, if the brown wire isn't plugged in that's what causing the shocking?

yes 2 browns to pump switch and the brown w tracer should have a brown wire next to it on the harness.

yes 2 browns to pump switch and the brown w tracer should have a brown wire next to it on the harness.

Thanks Davek! I'll give it a try, appreciate it!

Well it worked the way its supposed to! I got all three speeds but I had to ground the switch panel to the frame, which I think will be grounded when its installed. Before I couldn't get 3 speeds. When its not grounded the speeds go haywire. Thanks again Davek, you solved a problem I have been having for a while!

I am still wondering how you are getting any sort of shock from the wiper switch.....as far as I know, there is only the coil which could potentially give a decent shock on a car...unless you have a metallic banded wristwatch, and somehow short across the battery terminals. That would give a nasty burn or worse.

I am still wondering how you are getting any sort of shock from the wiper switch.....as far as I know, there is only the coil which could potentially give a decent shock on a car...unless you have a metallic banded wristwatch, and somehow short across the battery terminals. That would give a nasty burn or worse.

Its more like when you put your tongue on a 9 volt battery, its not a big shock. When I ground the switch panel to the dash frame I don't get it.

Gauge panel needs to be grounded like you found out. Here is another tip. If you painted your dash frame, be sure to scrape some paint off of the mounting ears where the screws go. If not you will have fluctuating gauges and will be wondering why.

Gauge panel needs to be grounded like you found out. Here is another tip. If you painted your dash frame, be sure to scrape some paint off of the mounting ears where the screws go. If not you will have fluctuating gauges and will be wondering why.

Thanks! Good tip!

Auto Transport Service
Back