• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

That “tinny” exhaust sound

Tony 69

Local time
11:19 PM
Reaction score
Can you guys post up some sounds of your exhaust? I am thinking of a flow master for my ride but of course can’t keep replacing mufflers to find out which one I like. Thanks.

I have Allied Technology mufflers. I LOVE them! Best sound ever! I get compliments at shows or wherever regularly. I have cars with Flowmaster and Thrush and they sound good but these sound way better. They are loud AND sound beautiful!
NOT TINNY.

There is much more to a sweet exhaust note that just mufflers. Here is two shots of my 1964 Plymouth Sport fury

My recepie:
500cui
11.6:1 CR
Howards Mech camshaft 260/264 dur @.050, 0.620/0.661 Lift
Doug´s Fenderwell headers 2" primary
3" Exhaust with X-pipe
Flowtech chambered mufflers

There is much more to a sweet exhaust note that just mufflers. Here is two shots of my 1964 Plymouth Sport fury

My recepie:
500cui
11.6:1 CR
Howards Mech camshaft 260/264 dur @.050, 0.620/0.661 Lift
Doug´s Fenderwell headers 2" primary
3" Exhaust with X-pipe
Flowtech chambered mufflers

Oh my, that one's spicy, eh? :thumbsup:

Can you guys post up some sounds of your exhaust? I am thinking of a flow master for my ride but of course can’t keep replacing mufflers to find out which one I like. Thanks.
It would help to know what you're working with to begin with?
Lots of factors go into the exhaust note, of course...mufflers are only the icing on the cake, really.
Here's my ol' '68 GTX 440 with a mild cam, through headers and 3" all the way back both sides -
and knock-off Flowmasters (which I'm not a fan of BTW):

(He's damn near obnoxiously loud going down the road from inside the cabin, but everyone says
he sounds great passing by).

I bought this car almost a year ago. It’s a 69 road runner 440/727 aluminum heads headman headers roller rockers 850 dp quick fuel. Don’t know about the cam or compression. Any way to find out? I assume it’s 30 over because the engine was redone in it. I also looked at the muffler numbers but have yet to figure out what they are.

34D292DE-A0AB-498E-9239-B042984ED450.jpeg

6EC86AC5-AECA-4832-A416-7E4D41CE8385.jpeg

Oh my, that one's spicy, eh? :thumbsup:
607hp at 5300 with a single plane intake and one carb and valvefloat at 5300.. changed springs, tunnelram and haven’t dynoed it after that. Shifts at 6200 and revlimit at 7K. It’s a nice cruiser

Not sure this will do anything material for you - but I bought Flowmasters - I want to say American Thunder. But as I recall they had sound clips for each of their models On their site. Maybe some others do to. At the time I was set on Flowmasters and trying to replicate a particular sound that I fell in love with. They did sound great but I’m not sure that I replicated what I wanted. Once done it was done. So there you have it.

The classic Flowmasters are pretty restrictive as are most "Turbo" mufflers. I have Dynomax welded 3" mufflers and they are on the loud side but no drone and sound pretty good.

I wish I could post the sound of my mufflers, three different cars, three different sounds, ALL GREAT, all the same brand. I can't even upload photos now for some reason.

Auto Transport Service
Back