• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The A body of mine!

5.7 hemi

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:46 AM
Reaction score
The hood hinges on the A bodies suck, to say it kindly. Mine would bow out towards the fender on the drivers side when I tried to close it. They aren’t bent, it’s the design of them that allows this to happen. So I got some gas struts, ground the main pin, punched it out (that thing was grooved from 40 years of use) and installed the pivot pin for the gas strut. Drilled 3 holes for the lower strut bracket and used nutserts so I didn’t have to weld anything and it can go back to stock if need be.

7AA066EE-BFDB-42D0-8072-30BC09470AC4.jpeg 61D28210-5703-487B-AAE2-31B2F6781FE4.jpeg

It’s working good, but I think that the 150lbs of force should be higher. I’m thinking 200lbs would be perfect. I’ll call the gal at Gruden tomorrow and see if the have something close to what I have now (extended length, stroke and size) but more force.

Cool idea, I like it. Haven't been around many A bodies but those hinges look a lot like the hinges on modern cars, lightweight!

The stock hinges on A body’s really suck. I’m only using the upper part, the bottom half and coil spring are sitting in the garage.

I got the idea from FABO, but no one that has done it cares to show how. The small problem that I’ve run into is the head of the fast strut is riding the inner sheet metal. And if you move the head to the outside, the hinge just wants to bow out. Got more work to do. I’ll try to post a pic when FBBO is working correctly.

The gas spring (strut) isn’t powerful enough to open the hood (150lbs). I have another set that I’m gonna try. They are a bit longer and also bigger in diameter so they should do the trick.

interesting.

will it be easy to replace if need be? or does the fender need to come off?

only reason i ask is because my gas spring on my ram failed sometime back. it was easy to access and replace

watermelon

It will, just need to pull off the rear splash shield and your golden.

Got it done. I used 2 gas struts for a 2004 Mitsubishi Montero lift gate, 5/8od x .497id steel tubing and a 10/32 button head machine screw. I drilled out the hinge hole, tapped in the steel bushing, welded bushing to hinge (this spreads the load over 3/4” instead of just the hinge thickness). I drilled/tapped the hinge pin. This is just to keep the hinge from walking outward. Installed the gas strut and bingo, I’m set!

C9B71717-993B-4523-A148-6B6990160AEA.jpeg 58B4585C-52CA-41F6-A0C7-0F4B4A8249BE.jpeg 05914AD7-A022-43E8-8AE0-76CC7E67825A.jpeg

I thought the hinge pins would be “hardened”, nope! Drilled/tapped like any other metal I’ve done.

Fenders are back on. Does open without hitting them, that’s good. Got it all semi aligned, just so it’s drivable.
Dakota Digital gauge cluster showed up, fitting that and wiring are next.

wheres good source for oem clips and washer attachments for hinges didnt come with my project

Try your local hardware store, they need to be just under .500 id.

Auto Transport Service
Back