• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The best Starter

Gospel Runner

Local time
9:33 AM
Reaction score
I have a 70 Road Runner with a 440 and these huge long tube TTI headers. I bought a power master mini-starter to turn this 13.5:1 compression engine; but the starter is super close to the headers. The heat is causing the starter to fail. What are you using for a starter in this kind of set-up?

Last edited:
I have the same setup with unknown but lower compression than yours. I bought a cheap Dakota starter from NAPA. You should look into DEI Products heat shield.

I have a 70 Road Runner with a 440 and these huge long tube TTI headers. I bought a power master mini-starter to turn this 13.5:1 compression engine; but the starter is super close to the headers. The heat is causing the starter to fail. What are you using for a starter in this kind of set-up?
I have had the same issue for weeks now.
I changed to many parts and wiring with no progress. Until I changed the starter relay.
Now it starts every time no matter how hot.
I couldn’t believe it.

My mini starter is very close to the block, I have TTI 2" headers. Haven't had starter problems that seem to be related to heat. Try some asbestos wrap on the header tube that's close to the starter.

496" using Dakota starter. TTI 2-1/8 stepped headers ceramic coated but no heat shield. Summer temps are 120+. No issues after 2 summers with it.

starter NAPA.jpg

I am super grateful for your suggestions. I will try to wrap the header tube closest to the starter, and check the starter relay. If this new starter fails again, I will look into the Napa brand Dakota starter. I am going to Lebanon Valley this Saturday, if everything works out and the weather cooperates. I will let you know how things work out! Again, God bless you for your assistance!

I am super grateful for your suggestions. I will try to wrap the header tube closest to the starter, and check the starter relay. If this new starter fails again, I will look into the Napa brand Dakota starter. I am going to Lebanon Valley this Saturday, if everything works out and the weather cooperates. I will let you know how things work out! Again, God bless you for your assistance!
I'll be up there for our final race of the year.
If you want to jump in and race with our club, come find me. We'll be happy to have you.
We park up front on the pavement near where the busses are parked bt spectator entrance.

PowerMaster Techs say DO NOT WRAP THE STARTER...it just hold heat in..
When you wrap the headers it is very hard to keep the wrap in place...waste of time I think.
I don't think it is a starter issue (of getting hot).
Power Master Tech says make sure you starter has a good ground
So.. I ran a 1 Gauge battery cable from the starter hold down stud over to the frame. (Cleaned all the paint off the frame first).
Then....I used 1 gauge battery cable directly from the 2 batteries in my trunk up to the starter motor.
Then I bought 2 brand new Optima Yellow Top batteries....and grounded the both batteries with double ground straps. (Yellow top because I don't run an alternator)
Then I grounded the motor block with two 1 gauge battery cables to the frame.
Before all this I was having the same issues with my Power Master 15-1 capable starter on my 15-1 compression, 1011HP 572 Hemi but doing all the above...it solved the problem...don't know which upgrade fixed it but it got fixed.

I went to Lebanon Valley in NY and met the nicest group of people on the planet. No Drama! They treated me as though we were family, as if I knew them all my life. They helped me and coached me through the whole day. I did not run well, but they made my day. Yes, the brand new starter broke when I was the next car to go down the track (it would have been my 3rd run). Now I am going to buy the Napa starter to see if that will work. I put in a o gauge ground wire from my battery in the trunk to the block. It looks like I will need to put in a couple more grounds. I have two expensive Power Master starters, that don't work. I am going to send both of them back! I will let you know if the Napa starter works? I don't know if it will turn the 13.5/1 CR engine, but I am pretty frustrated right now with this PM starter Co. Thanks again for the replies and information!

BTW my 440 Source starter seems to work well. Can't say about the reliability though. The fit is slightly better on my 440 block/727.

Jumping on this thread a little late. Does the starter in this picture work for 383s with 4 speed manual? Or do I need to find something else?
Never used that start on a 4sp but 4 sp use the same start as an auto. Except 66 to 69 4 sp Hemi's. Used a junkyard Mopar mini stater on a Hemi with a blow shield. The only I removed the plastic cover unbolted a part that was on the starter that the leads bolted to. You remove plastic piece you'll see what to remove. Only thing is watch main stud to block clearance. Sometimes stud needs to be cut down. The Hemi auto trans car had plenty of clearance.

I checked wires, connections, disconnected everything trying to track down my issue. Took starters in and out a dozen times. When hooked up to the battery directly using jumper cables, they work fine. In the car, they would spin, but not kick out the plunger. My buddy came over to help me find the issue. I just happened to look inside the starter hole, a tooth on the flywheel ring was broken, not allowing the starter gear to spin the engine. Nothing wrong with the starters! Has this happened to anyone? At least I mow know the problem! Again, thank you for your help with this issue.

Auto Transport Service
Back