• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Black Ghost - 1970 Challenger Hemi R/T S/E

i love the car don't get me wrong but i ran Woodward. but when i ran on the street i ran 12 40's so the silver bullet ran mid 10's and that Challenger must have run mid 11's i just don't like it when some one says it was the fastest when i know different.
There is always someone faster..lol.

i love the car don't get me wrong but i ran Woodward. but when i ran on the street i ran 12 40's so the silver bullet ran mid 10's and that Challenger must have run mid 11's i just don't like it when some one says it was the fastest when i know different.

I never said anything about who was the fastest,just about what a stock Hemi Challenger was capable of with 4.10 gears and slicks. They said the engine had never been apart,so unmodified mid elevens are unlikely. As far as the times I mentioned from the bullet they were from magazine articles that were from when the car was raced at the track,not guesses,or fictional bench racing. I have heard there were faster cars out there back then,but as stated,there's always somebody faster.

Black ghost?

33x44-Cute-Halloween-Cartoon-Funny-Black-Ghost-Pattern-Wall-Sticker-Bedroom-Home-Party-Living-Room-Decoration.jpg

What seems to be lost on this story is why it was called that... oh wait the guy was a cop illegally street racing so he had to remain a bit scarce... Since it is bone stock I am pretty sure that there were other serious guys out there who could have whipped it; after all street racing is a "run what ya brung" event. I like the car and the story but it seems there is a lot more hype about it than necessary. I am an E body guy, have been for decades and I appreciate the car but some seem to think of it as a religious artifact when in fact it is just a car; albeit a cool one.

Did your rate go up, down?
My rate went up about $18. And that was after driving only 3.8 miles for that first insured year. Hagerty would probably love all their customers to only drive that much per year haha. The ONLY thing they had to do for me was a round trip haul, on a flat bed, to a muffler shop and back, last June. So far, 12 days into the second year, I've driven 15 miles! Every car in the Brother's Collection probably got driven more than mine did last year.

I know I’ve posted this before, but this was my Dads car, and in bone stock off the showroom floor ran 12:30 on H-70-15 bias ply tires. Dad was known to cruise Woodward and Telegraph back in 1970, and had a standing grudge against his buddies 70 Hemi GTX. I remember Bob would come over and goad Dad into heading out to Telegraph, which was just 3 blocks from our house. My brother and I would slide under Bobs car and gaze in wild wonder at his big chrome oil pan. He could never beat Dads car tho, try as he might. There is some speculation as to what happened in the building of Dads car, but needless to say, he never turned a wrench on that motor. He also could’ve come across the Black Ghost, but I’ve never heard it mentioned until I watched the video.

33985A08-42B3-4DB0-A170-67D8132929AE.jpeg 8F6BA0F2-75D5-4D43-A4A3-26DA865A57A5.jpeg 983735AB-5C75-461B-9F0E-7F163B103A07.jpeg

That was and is a great story!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Last edited:
Greg (sporting our club's t-shirt in the interview):

Gregory Qualls.png

brought the car out to the 2019 Clinton Township Gratiot Cruise, where I snapped a few pictures of it.

DSCN1433-DLHP.jpg
DSCN1434-DLHP.jpg
DSCN1435-DLHP.jpg
DSCN1436-DLHP.jpg
DSCN1437-DLHP.jpg

DSCN1438-DLHP.jpg
DSCN1439-DLHP.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back