• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Black Thermoquad!!!

idrivemopar

Local time
2:58 PM
Reaction score
I got the Thermoquad back from coating and thought I would start a separate thread with it rather then just the throttle rods.

I initially was just going to do the throttle rods, however, after further investigation and discussing the properties with the manufacturer of the Cerakote H146 Graphite black, I decided to do the top and bottom sections and hey, might as well do all the little parts as well. The bottom section was completely done so that the throttle rods would also be riding on a coated surface in the throttle section. The top section only has its outer parts and throats coated.

It all fit together very nicely, no issues with threads or the throttle rods fitting into the housing because this product is baked on at only a 1 mil thickness, and looks pretty good too! I know some of you will not be real thrilled on doing this to a carb, however, because of the ceramic properties and coating mixture, the coating should provide a higher heat dissipation rate then just the bare aluminum housing, its chemical resistant, and has pretty good wear ability compared to the original Teflon.

So, here are some pictures, side by side with another one just to show the differences.

20160326_163154.jpg
20160326_163250.jpg
20160326_163259.jpg
20160326_163318.jpg

This really shows how thin the product is as it does not fill in even the stampings.

20160325_183039.jpg

Also, when assembling the throttle rods, the original screws were staked so they wouldn't back out, and I was able to pull a set of screws from some spares that were long enough to allow me to stake them again after all was assembled.
20160326_150042.jpg
20160326_150104.jpg

Hopefully will get some warmer weather soon so I can test it out, but I don't see any reason why it should preform any different than a none coated one.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is another shot a bit closer during assembly.
20160326_160235a.jpg

i'd like to here about your tuning. i've never worked with thermoquads but believe there's a lot of potential with them.

As far as tuning goes, I have always just followed the service manual on the specifications, but there are larger jets available and different rods these days, but, this is the larger version of the two, and its going on my 340 since it has higher compression and a bigger cam than it did when stock, so hoping from my earlier experience with a larger thermoquad on the engine, before it had some issues and I had to switch back to the smaller one, that this will run better on my motor than the smaller one is as its running very lean, but I haven't done any modifications to it yet and maybe will do that later.

These are very very good carburetors. You will not go wrong. Replace the screws on the throttle bores with new ones that are not stretched and use industrial lock tite as well as staking..

Hey Snakeoil24, good call on the throttle screws, I was thinking that might be a problem, so I went back to double check them, and I am sure they are stretched, but one other thing, they are brittle, the staking wouldn't hold, was easy to back them out, and where staked, it just fell apart, so now got a new set of screws.

Very nice. They are good carbs and run very good if you set them right. Ron

Got the carb on the car! Idles great, real smooth, slow to moderate throttle is just about perfect but need to tune to eliminate the WOT bog, so fiddling with the air valve and the step up and accelerator pump settings, hopefully will have it dialed in soon. I goosed the throttle while in reverse and it broke the tires loose, so that was awesome!
20160406_195350.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back