• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Charger is home after 7 months in the shop.

SteveSS

Local time
6:33 AM
Reaction score
Normally I wouldn't post shop names but in this case, I will. As some of you know we finally got the brake and carb kick-down lever problems fixed and on the way home the car died. I was running great then, backfiring and stumbling. Lots of mechanics looked at it with very minor improvements. I took it to Steve Mills Racing because he was supposed to be the best. There's lots of cool old muscle in his Yard. Lots of things were tried to no avail, lots of parts too. I finally sent the dizzy that was in it to a Mopar rebuilder in Ohio. He said some bushings were binding up so he rebuilt it into an HEI using Pertronics. Picked it up today and it's running but not perfectly. I feel like I was the one chasing down fixes for the car. The vinyl top was not in good shape but now after sitting outside for 7 months it definitely needs replacing. I hear vinyl tops on 2nd gens are a bitch because of the buttresses. So now I have to hunt down a vinyl top guy.

It's nice to have it home and running somewhat well.

Glad to hear the car is back home where it belongs. Shame it had to sit out for so long. How bad is the vinyl?

Just so you know, HEI is High Energy Ignition a GM technology.
Pertronix is usually just a points to electronic ignition conversion kit.
Yes both are electronic but not the same thing.

Okay cool. The back edge above the rear window is frayed with lots of little tears. It needed to be redone anyway because there were some bubbles from what I figured was rust starting.

Seven months in the shop for a distributor ?

Or am I missing something

Honestly I don’t no anyone that would leave a car at a shop for 7 months for a simple bolt in part that can be bought new easily and simply installed..

1670020924735.png

It was there so long trying to be diagnosed. Finally, they told me they couldn't get the correct distributor for it. I actually shopped for one and the fine print would say not for 1969 383. We had replaced every other ignition part. the answer was to get the old one rebuilt.

It was there so long trying to be diagnosed. Finally, they told me they couldn't get the correct distributor for it. I actually shopped for one and the fine print would say not for 1969 383. We had replaced every other ignition part. the answer was to get the old one rebuilt.
These guys couldn't help you with
the correct part?
Read thru all of the info. They have an
adapter that would allow installing
on your 383, a new distributor.
(if required).

So, you didn’t contact member “Halifaxhops”? That distributor problem would’ve been corrected months ago, but that doesn’t sound like it’s your only problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back