• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Earth is not flat, the Moon is not made of cheese....

kiwigtx

Henchman #4 and Jack-Stand Racer #2
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:59 AM
Reaction score
......and there are different headlights manufactured in this world for different applications in different countries.

I had an interesting Private Conversation message sent to me this morning, that essentially started out as doing me a 'solid'....in that I wasn't going to be called out for making up fantasy stories in public. While I appreciate the gesture, I also didn't need the advice, as what I have already stated is the truth.

There are indeed two different headlight/headlamp (headlite for the uneducated) variations made for different markets in the world today.

As some of you may not be aware, not every country drives on the right hand side of the road, and not all cars are "left hand drive". There are many other countries in this world (we call it Earth) which require citizens to drive on the left hand side of the road, and therefore have a recommendation that all cars have the steering wheel to the right of centre of the vehicle's longitudinal dimension. I can do pictures for anyone not keeping up here so far.

It therefore stands to reason that the headlights in different system's cars would need to be aimed at the opposite side of the road, to avoid the likelihood of blinding on-coming traffic.

Vehicles that are left hand drive (and driven on the right hand side of the road) have traditionally being manufactured with headlights which are aimed to direct the majority of the beam intensity to the right hand side of the road.

The opposite is also true. As in - vehicles that are right hand drive (and driven on the left hand side of the road) have the majority of their beam intensity aimed at the left hand side of the road.

The exception is that (apparently) there are some new models coming out which have headlamps which are aimed straight ahead, and have automatic adjusters to send the beam left or right. These same vehicles also have the ability to turn the headlights into the direction of a corner as it is being taken. They can also adjust to maintain High Beam when there is no approaching traffic - dipping when opposing traffic approaches.

The difference between Left Hand, and Right Hand traditional headlights is in the Glass lens AND the Reflector. Sealed and Semi sealed beams have this difference built in.

For the likes of the United Kingdom - when citizens take their private Right hand drive vehicles across to Europe, where the majority of countries are Left hand drive, the headlights must be at a minimum fitted with lens correcting sticker/decals. The reduces the chances of blinding on-coming traffic. It also reduces the output capacity of light (Lumen output) of the headlights...but is a small price to pay instead of changing headlights.

LED and Halogen style 'lamps' (or globes as some call them) are NOT directional. The lamps can be used in any country, provided they are the correct size and wattage etc.

It is the Glass lens and reflectors which are different.

I hope that this clears up the difference of opinion that is floating around right now.

Thanks to @Kern Dog for encouraging me to contribute more in the Tech forums. :D

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQ87qvejDKu9JkXjBRo0rn9Ct0tFZc1tqRTuGQLG-4nJjvPL3nI&usqp=CAU.png

I allways have known that, based on my Mercedes W116 because I can see the shade made by its headlights. Of course its the European headlights setup, not the USA one with the inserted round headlights into the square screen and still being 1975 it got the assimetrical headlight setup, but well its a Mercedes LOL... I just didn't know old cars using the 7" and 5 3/4" classic sealed beams also acomplished with this requirement. I can't see that ( at least noticeably ) on my Charger using the Halogen sealed beams at least ( H5001 and H5006 )

( there is ppl which is not able to see there is a world out of their borders and not just its world is THE world )

Last edited:
Cibie Hella Marchel and Bosh made headlights going back 40 to 50 years that had the cut off and the better beam pattern
That DOT would not accept for use in the USA and now that pattern is the norm
SAE and E code was always a better standard

......and there are different headlights manufactured in this world for different applications in different countries.

I had an interesting Private Conversation message sent to me this morning, that essentially started out as doing me a 'solid'....in that I wasn't going to be called out for making up fantasy stories in public. While I appreciate the gesture, I also didn't need the advice, as what I have already stated is the truth.

There are indeed two different headlight/headlamp (headlite for the uneducated) variations made for different markets in the world today.

As some of you may not be aware, not every country drives on the right hand side of the road, and not all cars are "left hand drive". There are many other countries in this world (we call it Earth) which require citizens to drive on the left hand side of the road, and therefore have a recommendation that all cars have the steering wheel to the right of centre of the vehicle's longitudinal dimension. I can do pictures for anyone not keeping up here so far.

It therefore stands to reason that the headlights in different system's cars would need to be aimed at the opposite side of the road, to avoid the likelihood of blinding on-coming traffic.

Vehicles that are left hand drive (and driven on the right hand side of the road) have traditionally being manufactured with headlights which are aimed to direct the majority of the beam intensity to the right hand side of the road.

The opposite is also true. As in - vehicles that are right hand drive (and driven on the left hand side of the road) have the majority of their beam intensity aimed at the left hand side of the road.

The exception is that (apparently) there are some new models coming out which have headlamps which are aimed straight ahead, and have automatic adjusters to send the beam left or right. These same vehicles also have the ability to turn the headlights into the direction of a corner as it is being taken. They can also adjust to maintain High Beam when there is no approaching traffic - dipping when opposing traffic approaches.

The difference between Left Hand, and Right Hand traditional headlights is in the Glass lens AND the Reflector. Sealed and Semi sealed beams have this difference built in.

For the likes of the United Kingdom - when citizens take their private Right hand drive vehicles across to Europe, where the majority of countries are Left hand drive, the headlights must be at a minimum fitted with lens correcting sticker/decals. The reduces the chances of blinding on-coming traffic. It also reduces the output capacity of light (Lumen output) of the headlights...but is a small price to pay instead of changing headlights.

LED and Halogen style 'lamps' (or globes as some call them) are NOT directional. The lamps can be used in any country, provided they are the correct size and wattage etc.

It is the Glass lens and reflectors which are different.

I hope that this clears up the difference of opinion that is floating around right now.

Thanks to @Kern Dog for encouraging me to contribute more in the Tech forums. :D

I'm kinda sitting here scratching my head to who would not understand this concept I'd assume the person is from a right side of road kinda place ! Not verse in knowing stuff that pertains over seas,so American!
Maybe I had a heads up worked for a guy that would import cars here we had to get them setup for here! So head lights from the American version was a must !

I'm kinda sitting here scratching my head to who would not understand this concept I'd assume the person is from a right side of road kinda place ! Not verse in knowing stuff that pertains over seas,so American!
Maybe I had a heads up worked for a guy that would import cars here we had to get them setup for here! So head lights from the American version was a must !

They took out good lights and put in not so good

Over 25% of countries in world drive on the left (54 out of the 195 internationally recognised countries) ...more than even I thought to be honest.
A few years back I was threatened with having my car confiscated when I forgot to put the beam correctors on it when I was stopoed in Germany....it was daytime to.
These are the places (NOT countries) that drive on the left ....for those that care. Many of those places were forma UK colonies.

• Australia
  • Christmas Island
  • Cocos (Keeling) Islands
  • Cook Islands
  • Fiji
  • Kiribati
  • Nauru
  • New Zealand
  • Niue
  • Norfolk Island
  • Papua New Guinea
  • Pitcairn Islands
  • Solomon Islands
  • Samoa
  • Tokelau
  • Tonga
  • Tuvalu
Asia

• Bangladesh
  • Bhutan
  • Brunei
  • East Timor
  • Hong Kong
  • Indonesia
  • India
  • Japan
  • Macao
  • Malaysia
  • Nepal
  • Pakistan
  • Singapore
  • Sri Lanka
  • Thailand
Africa

• Botswana
  • Kenya
  • Lesotho
  • Malawi
  • Mauritius
  • Mozambique
  • Namibia
  • South Africa
  • Swaziland
  • Tanzania
  • Uganda
  • Zambia
  • Zimbabwe
Europe

• Akrotiri and Dhekelia
  • Cyprus
  • Guernsey
  • Ireland
  • Isle of Man
  • Jersey
  • Malta
  • United Kingdom
South America

• Guyana
  • Suriname
Caribbean Basin

• Anguilla
  • Antigua and Barbados
  • Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • British Virgin Islands
  • Cayman Islands
  • Dominica
  • Grenada
  • Jamaica
  • Montserrat
  • Saint Kitts and Nevis
  • Saint Lucia
  • Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • Turks and Caicos Islands
  • U.S. Virgin Islands
Other Islands

• Bermuda
  • Falkland Islands
  • Maldives
  • Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan de Cunha
  • Seychelles
  • South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands

I believe it's done with those squares and triangles cast into the glass on the inside of the lens.

Over 25% of countries in world drive on the left (54 out of the 195 internationally recognised countries) ...more than even I thought to be honest.
A few years back I was threatened with having my car confiscated when I forgot to put the beam correctors on it when I was stopoed in Germany....it was daytime to.
These are the places (NOT countries) that drive on the left ....for those that care. Many of those places were forma UK colonies.

• Australia
  • Christmas Island
  • Cocos (Keeling) Islands
  • Cook Islands
  • Fiji
  • Kiribati
  • Nauru
  • New Zealand
  • Niue
  • Norfolk Island
  • Papua New Guinea
  • Pitcairn Islands
  • Solomon Islands
  • Samoa
  • Tokelau
  • Tonga
  • Tuvalu
Asia

• Bangladesh
  • Bhutan
  • Brunei
  • East Timor
  • Hong Kong
  • Indonesia
  • India
  • Japan
  • Macao
  • Malaysia
  • Nepal
  • Pakistan
  • Singapore
  • Sri Lanka
  • Thailand
Africa

• Botswana
  • Kenya
  • Lesotho
  • Malawi
  • Mauritius
  • Mozambique
  • Namibia
  • South Africa
  • Swaziland
  • Tanzania
  • Uganda
  • Zambia
  • Zimbabwe
Europe

• Akrotiri and Dhekelia
  • Cyprus
  • Guernsey
  • Ireland
  • Isle of Man
  • Jersey
  • Malta
  • United Kingdom
South America

• Guyana
  • Suriname
Caribbean Basin

• Anguilla
  • Antigua and Barbados
  • Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • British Virgin Islands
  • Cayman Islands
  • Dominica
  • Grenada
  • Jamaica
  • Montserrat
  • Saint Kitts and Nevis
  • Saint Lucia
  • Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • Turks and Caicos Islands
  • U.S. Virgin Islands
Other Islands

• Bermuda
  • Falkland Islands
  • Maldives
  • Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan de Cunha
  • Seychelles
  • South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands

All those were part of the Britain empire on the industrial revolution days, later the Commonwealth. Too many countries but a few on population and industrial importance anyway because all of those were handled by just one country goverment actually back in the days.

I'm wondering why Japan? it got somehow associated with UK on at certain history moment?

I believe it's done with those squares and triangles cast into the glass on the inside of the lens.
sure it is!!!

to keep the Mercedes example, which is the one I know better... here is the R107 lense for RHD
s-l1600.jpg

and here is the same for LHD
s-l1600.jpg

and both are Bosch... so is not a manufacturer difference

For those who doesn't know what an R107 is:

420x315.jpg

Last edited:
@Slantsixdan needs to stop by. May be he was the one that contacted Kiwi. He is a automotive lighting professional.

I just installed hella glass headlamps,4 of the 5 3/4. The light pattern is determined by how the glass is fluted. I did not get the desired outcome even with the 100 watt h4 high beams.

Auto Transport Service
Back